A lot of clouds observed .... any relation to climate warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
If you tune in to this camera aboard the space station ... :
https://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/ESRS/HDEV/
you will see that the earth's surface is mostly, usually, obscured by clouds.
Is this usual, unusual, seasonal, or something else?
... Wanted to see the actual continental land masses from space ... low earth orbit, but there are just too many clouds.
... N.B. ...You have to wait for the camera (in the upper frame) to traverse a daylight zone.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It has been that way as long as I can remember -for many decadeds.

Photos of large areas unobstructed by clouds were (are) mosaics of cloud-free sections.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The weather radars have 4-5 hr sweeps. And they are re-locatable like google maps.

Go to different latitudes at early mornings around the earth....and see how and where the clouds form.

Compare those lats to sea and land formation.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
You might want to start worrying when there are no clouds.
And why does everything that happens nowadays have to be connected to global warming.
Pretty soon someone is going to sneeze and someone is going to holler "Global Warming" and I'm going to go off. Doom and Gloom!

We need to stop driving cars, we need to stop flying airplanes and eat all the cows that fart too much and poison our atmosphere with methane gas.
Give me a break....
Brzrkr

Overt contemporary political content removed by moderator.. Not that I disagree with you but we just can't have such discussions here.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
There is no such thing as 'global warming' as a catastrophe. 1) We haven't been measuring the process accurately enough, for a long enough period to make such a foolish generalization. 2) ionization in the upper atmosphere creates more ozone in the atmosphere than we can deplete on a regular basis. 3) Al Gore's chief scientist behind the entire global warming theory finally had enough of the perpetuation of the lie and admitted it was all bunk. That's why the whole thing died off so fast.

As for clouds, what you're seeing is pretty normal. Earth is covered in clouds most of the time. It's a pretty ingenious way to move entire oceans of water around the world in a way that is beyond clever and not subject really to our control as it's well outside of our scope/scale.

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
A while back I worked briefly with an AGW zealot and asked him to explain why about 10K years ago there was a mile or so of ice on top of where we live (Minnesota). His eyes glazed over for a few seconds and then he guessed "Volcanoes...?". That's what I thought. He had no clue.

That was after he issued the often repeated garbage about "97% of scientists are convinced humans are warming the Earth". Fortunately for him I had previously researched the origins of that claim. I suggested he do the same. Doubt he did, he's probably still spreading the lie.

Back in the 1920s and 30s people in my area of the Arkansas river delta were able to drive cars out onto frozen lakes. When I was a child I watched my grandfather ice fish (10 to 12 cm of ice) in his pond in the early 1960s. Now the lakes never freeze, the ponds may get a thin sheet around the edges. The insect population is far worse because they don't die off as much in the winter. Spring is much wetter and the local farmers have difficulty planting crops.
Is it warmer now than it was 100 years ago? Based on personal experience and conversations with older people I would have to say yes, definitely. I'm not a scientist, I'm basing this on nearly 70 years of observation by an ordinary person and conversations I had with people who lived in the first half of the 20th century.

The real argument these days is not whether it is warmer, it is on the cause of the increase. I'm not going to get into that argument here.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Back in the 1920s and 30s people in my area of the Arkansas river delta were able to drive cars out onto frozen lakes. When I was a child I watched my grandfather ice fish (10 to 12 cm of ice) in his pond in the early 1960s. Now the lakes never freeze, the ponds may get a thin sheet around the edges. The insect population is far worse because they don't die off as much in the winter. Spring is much wetter and the local farmers have difficulty planting crops.
Is it warmer now than it was 100 years ago? Based on personal experience and conversations with older people I would have to say yes, definitely. I'm not a scientist, I'm basing this on nearly 70 years of observation by an ordinary person and conversations I had with people who lived in the first half of the 20th century.

The real argument these days is not whether it is warmer, it is on the cause of the increase. I'm not going to get into that argument here.
Please report back about 10,000 years from now and let us know how it's going.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
If what I was told about gloabal warming in college in 1972 had happened where I sit now would be 60' underwater. The only thing that actually happened and it wasn't because of water pollution was the advent of bottled water but it is not for the only available means of potable unpolluted drinking water. I still drink tap water.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Don't let these climate nuts scare you into thinking their problem is real. If you have a problem with the climate? go clean some stuff up if it makes you feel better but don't get us involved.
Brzrkr

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
All I know is in 71 years of living in the same area I or no one I know can remember as rainy a spring, early summer as this one. The farmers that were able to get their crops in are not seeing growth at normal levels. The saying used to be for corn, "knee high by 4th of July", this year its lucky to be ankle high.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
AOC: The earth is going to end in 12 years if we don't do something about climate change "RIGHT NOW"
We need to stop driving cars, we need to stop flying airplanes and eat all the cows that fart too much and poison our atmosphere with methane gas.
Give me a break....
You should really look at other things than Fox at night(the opinion time). She never said any of those things, they were said by a "guest" on Fox and attributed to her. sorry to burst your bubble.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Cloudiness (or clear skies) depend on a number of atmospheric factors and none of them can be traced to so called "climate change".
I think you are wrong here. Follow along:
  1. Increasing average temperatures leads to more evaporation.
  2. Increasing evaporation leads to more water vapor in the air
  3. Increasing water vapor in the air leads to cloud formation
  4. Low thick clouds contribute to warming, high thin clouds contribute to cooling

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Just as a point of info, the earth's surface was once a molten lake with 1000s of volcanoes going off like popcorn in a hot skillet.

Then somehow the earth's surface cooled off enough that it was covered with ice. Then the earth warmed up so most of the the ice melted. All these events happened before people started driving cars and trucks, flying in planes, and eating cattle and pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.