A GLCD Issue.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I bought some 128 X 64 GLCD's to experiment and study. :D
Together with some 18F46K22 ( Since I liked the 45K22, I bought one with more memory just in case ).

The PIC's had a problem. 4 detected OK while 1 did not and is heating up.:mad:
So much for that. I am dealing with the seller.

My issue is testing the display's.
I dunno how to .. so I am trying the EasyPIC's GLCD example.
I connected the GLCD without looking to dev board.
Installed a 46K22 and changed the project setting from 45K22 to 46K22. And programed one PIC.
I can see the LED's toggling as like data is being sent. But no display....:confused:
So checked the connection and the pins do not match.
So I changed it but 2 connections are missing. They are CS1 & CS2. They are not labelled on the display o_O

This is the display
Display.png
and the EasyPIC connection

Easy.jpg
I am new to this and I need help in this pls.
What is Vout on GLCD. I think it is Vee. Right ?

I dunno the chip no. of LCD. I have asked the seller for the info.

I guess I need to do my home work on this.

But before that I need to test the GLCD's.

I do have a 45K22 that came with the EasyPIC. The example uses that. But I think a 46K22 will also work without any code change. Right ?

Help ?:(

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yes, you need to do your homework. Any questions on the GLCD are on Mikro's website. You will learn things like the Vo pin is there for contrast control with a pot.

CS1 and CS2 are chip select lines, as a 128x64 display is actually two 64x64 displays working side by side, the the CL lines (chip select) pick which side you are working with.

If your display lacks these lines it is not compatible with the Mikro library.

The world is full of graphic displays that work with Mikro's library. To get one you need to do your homework up front so you order one with the correct pins.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Aaah Crap !
I got careless and did not check the picture properly.

Still what kinda GLCD are that. (the ones I bought) ?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Soooo ! After this embarrassing purchase I bought this type
I believe it is compatible with EasyPIC I have since all the pin connections are same.
And I did buy some 18F46K22's too.

I like to ask if 46K22 is capable of running the GLCD ?
Or do I need to get better PIC's ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Never used one but the interfacing appears close to the simpler HD44780 based displays.
It does not appear to have the feature of splitting the word up into two nibbles as the HD can though?
Max.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
This display has absolutely nothing in common with HD44780 based types. As a graphic display the basic display element is a single pixel, as opposed to a complete character. It needs to be fed pixel data one byte at a time.

The 18F46K22 device is a good starting place. You want to start your development with the biggest device you can find, and perhaps later cut it down. It is NOT doing the driving of the display, it is simply presenting the pixel bits on and off states. The GLCD does it's own updating.

One item to point out: while the GLCD is a 5 volt device the logical one input voltage is Vdd-2.2 volts, or down to 2.8V for a nominal 5V supply. That means you do not need level translation if running the micro off 3.3 V.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
How much processing power you need depends entirely on what the processing is! If you just want vertical and horizontal lines and boxes, then any processor should be able to do it. Complicated geometry starts to demand more math. And if you want complicated shapes and animation, then you really need some serious crunching power.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
No, "Any specific job?"

You need to know what the processor has to do before you can decide which processor to choose. And if it's graphics, the issues might involve complicated shapes, rotation, animation--just saying "graphics" isn't saying much.

Or here's a thought. Use your PIC18F46K22 and just get started, and if it ends up doing everything you need, you're a winner. If you run out of processing time or memory, then you'll know you need more power.