???

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
To me, microprocessors are presently the state of the art in planned obsolescence. Any retail product that has one usually can't be repaired.

Ooh...It's a secret how that is programmed. Just throw it in the trash and pay me again.:p
I always understood how and why PC's were designed and built to be throw aways after one year.

But I was genuinely shocked to find out that the new crops of LED HDTV products have product spans of maybe 6 months before new products are introduced.

I was also underwhelmed by the way this fact impacts the product: buy an $1100 48" Sony and find out the user manual is a joke. I asked the store guy if it had picture in picture? Nobody there even knew, manual says nothing, I found out it does after I bought it.:mad:

And they brag about how it connects to the internet with their browser.... except you can't use it. Any site you try to go to just gets an error screen saying it doesn't have enough memory to display..... and there is no way to add memory

Anyway, yeah it has multitudes of computer "features" and none of them can be used for anything. But at least it has a pretty picture.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
To me, microprocessors are presently the state of the art in planned obsolescence. Any retail product that has one usually can't be repaired.
What's funny is they are in everything like toasters and alarm clocks and refrigerators. Even the new ignition systems for cars and motorcycles have CPU's.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Being the guy that is asked to repair the product. After finding the part number of that chip, buying one, installing it, and finding that it will not fix the problem because nobody tells how to program it or what the programming is.
Why do you think I left the electronics repair industry? ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Now that's funny.:D

I quit TV repair long before microprocessors were available, but that's because they drove me crazy. Microprocessors don't drive me crazy because I don't even try to repair them. My life-long fight against, "Drop it in the trash and pay me for a new one" is failing.:(

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I hear you. There's something truly moral about being able to take an old broken thing and heal it and make it work as good as new. I've done that for decades and take pride in it.

But now I'm one of those people that design and manufacture stuff with micros inside, that can't be repaired... Go figure. ;)

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
Hi Guys

Interesting times. I asked to be Permanently Banned from ETO when all the drama started and Eric was kicked in the teeth.

EM last night granted my wish....He banned me.

So, where do I go from here???

Not Forums. Nah. I was never one that asked lots of questions. Rather help where I can. Blow off a little steam here or there. Talk my mind where others would be too afraid to say anything in case they get into trouble...

For the record...Once again I believe I stand taller than my shadow.

I stand up for what is good. No matter the cost to me.

I like it that way.

tvtech

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
So, where do I go from here???

Not Forums. Nah. I was never one that asked lots of questions. Rather help where I can. Blow off a little steam here or there. Talk my mind where others would be too afraid to say anything in case they get into trouble...
Just hang out here for now. It's been pretty laid back so far, though some of the provocateurs are migrating this way lately. It will be interesting to see how or if they are dealt with now that they moved to AAC. We might find someplace else to hang out in the meantime. I'll let you know if a stumble across someplace interesting.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Oh joy. I hadn't thought of that. Oh well, we do a fair job on a case by case basis here. It won't be the first time either.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I must say AAC moderators have probably done the best job at keeping the forums clean of trolls out of all the forums I visit (4 or 5 of them). If any real trolls migrate over here, they'll be out the door within a week or two. I have no doubt of that.

Regards,
Matt

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If any real trolls migrate over here, they'll be out the door within a week or two. I have no doubt of that.
Well it will all depend on whose defining who is the troll. :rolleyes:

I think thats what accounted for 80% of the stink over at ETO. The changing of the guard redefines who is the trolls now. ;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Defining trolls can be hard, but we do it regularly here. My personal informal rules are simple, and are covered under moderator powers in the ToS.

Rule One:
Civility is a must. It is possible to argue like adults. It you have lost the argument, or can not agree, then move on and drop it.

Rule Two (see Rule One):
No flaming or obvious trolling. Indulging in such is ground for an automatic ban of a duration determined by the moderators.

Rule Three:
This is a science site. Electronics is a pretty open and shut subject. Science and the Laws and Thermodynamics are not really open for debate, though we can discuss the details. New evidence does come out, but it doesn't automatically mean overunity or perpetual motion are open subjects here.

Just my personal take. I suspect every moderator has their own.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are so many ways to troll that I am still learning the different types. Some of them are:
1) Posting something ridiculous or inflammatory just to get an emotional reaction,
2) Picking out a particular person to follow around and annoy,
3) Posting something only vaguely related to the subject matter and defending it to the death.

Perfect example on ETO. I posted Ohm's Law for Noobies and the trolls over there argued for pages about whether Ohm's Law was named after the right person. The noobies didn't seem to make the connection. Go figure.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Perfect example on ETO. I posted Ohm's Law for Noobies and the trolls over there argued for pages about whether Ohm's Law was named after the right person. The noobies didn't seem to make the connection. Go figure.
I remember a very contentious discussion about Ohm's Law. Seems they don't understand basic electronic laws at ETO. I wonder if that was your entry????

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I recall a similar discussion (maybe the same one). This was back a couple of years ago, I think. I remember the primary troll in that argument, and he's now residing here under a different name.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I was going to mention someone who just got barred from ETO, but I see he has already been a member here and hasn't posted since April. He reports himself as an electronics technician, but all his postings suggest otherwise.

Billy Mayo is his name. His posts here resemble the one's I've read over at ETO. He does not follow recommendations to read manuals or other text to improve his skills, and I use that term lightly.

Don't let me prejudice you. You can read his postings and see there is little difference in the substance between the one's in April 2013 at AAC and the one's in January 2014 at ETO.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I was going to mention someone who just got barred from ETO, but I see he has already been a member here and hasn't posted since April. He reports himself as an electronics technician, but all his postings suggest otherwise.

Billy Mayo is his name. His posts here resemble the one's I've read over at ETO. He does not follow recommendations to read manuals or other text to improve his skills, and I use that term lightly.

Don't let me prejudice you. You can read his postings and see there is little difference in the substance between the one's in April 2013 at AAC and the one's in January 2014 at ETO.
If what I've heard is true, he was banned over at ETO under a different name, but came back under the name Billy Mayo.

He is by no means an electronics technician. Perhaps an aspiring one, but he's nowhere near that point yet.