8086 Assembler

maxfourier

Joined Aug 7, 2011
All i need is a 8086 assembler. That is something that looks like Notepad/text editor and runs assembly level code like (the following)

-------------------------
.model small
.stack 100h

.data
msg db 'Hello, world!$'

.code
start:
mov ah, 09h ; Display the message
lea dx, msg
int 21h
mov ax, 4C00h ; Terminate the executable
int 21h

end start
---------------------

And thats it! But nothing works. I search everywhere. First i found this 8086 emulator (emu8086). Then i tried various assemblers. But seriously, I can do nothing. All of them (thier exe's) just flash a Dos window for a milisecond and then just disappear. (NGASM, FASM, AdaptAsm, A86, TASM) I tried doing that cmd stuff but it dint work. Plus i don't want to get into that. Is there something that work and is Zen, Minimal? :confused:

I have this Douglas Hall text which tells me all kinds of stories about 8086 instructions which i can get in any manual but it dosent tell me how to assemble programs & it wont even give me the name of an assembler. :mad:

Moreover, there's nothing on youtube. Someone needs to make assembly level tutorials like thenewboston or something. Starting from zero.. :(

Give me a link or something. I can't (don't want to) learn the instructions for my exams without actually doing the programming.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I think you have run those in a dos simulator. I use dosbox to play old dos games like lemmings. You can download it here http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 as I understand it will work on newer windows system. I will look in my old floppy disk archive. If I still have it. But I think I got rid of all that stuff a long time ago. I hated the 8086 assembler

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I loved the 8086 assembler, I wrote PCBCAD program in around 1990 using 330,000 lines of assembler. I used an 8086 assembler and editor i wrote myself in 8086 assembler.
Not bad at all. At that time I used a cracked version of something called traxedit running under DOS. Made by protel. The traxedit software was cracked by a staff member of technical high school was a student at. And put on the school server by the staff. For the benefit of the students. Tings has changed since that time:D. By the way. To day the traxedit program is freeware. It can be found on the Altium website. To run it on a "modern" computer you have to use dosbox.

Last edited: