6 phase comparison to a 3 phase machine

Petros.Alexakis

Joined Mar 10, 2016
Hi I am new to the forum. If we have a permanent magnet motor that is 1kw in power if the motor is 3 phase will require P=3*Vφ*Ιφ and when it is a 6 phase motor will it need P=6*Vφ*Ιφ? I know it is silly but I am strugling

Thanks

Petros.Alexakis

Joined Mar 10, 2016
Design an inverter. And i want to decide the current rating of the devices I am going to use. If by increasing the phases I decrease the current it will be very helpfull

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
All you will be doing is dividing up the total load by more devices and using more wire to connect everything to the motor so how does that factor into your concept?

Petros.Alexakis

Joined Mar 10, 2016
Device current is really important because I need a motor that rquires a lot of current. If I can reduce the ammount of current my devices see it is really important

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
An alternating current, polyphase, permanent magnet motor, eh? And you're firing it off a DC buss, and trying to make it a 6-phase motor and matching inverter, to minimize "device current".

And it's an automotive application, (and want that to be evident) because you're keeping this in our automotive forum.

At this point you're claiming or imagineing 380A rms @36v /phase and cant figure out how much 48V DC you'll be drawing off that buss.

Well, I'm anxious to see these answers too. This PM ACmotor thing sure sounds unusual, but I dont get away from the old class B 3-phase workhorses very often anymore.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
PM 3ph AC motors and/or BLDC are fairly common now, Fischer-Paykel for washing machines and ECM motors in HVAC systems, and of course servo's have been 3 ph AC and BLDC for some time now.
All P.M.
Not to forget the R.C. crowd also.
Max.