5G is underwhelming.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I had the software update notice last night and it's the first time in I've ever clicked the "continue" button. I hate forced updates and I always just keep clicking "remind me later" until the illusion of choice expires. But this time around, they told me (at least a smidge) of what they were doing to my phone, and promised 5G network. I accept. Not sure why. It's even slower than 4G. Painfully slow. Unacceptable. WTF. How about make sure it doesn't suck before you roll it out?

Why do these updates always have to be noticeable? Why can't updates just patch security holes and add features (optionally)? My GUI is all different now. If I wanted my GUI different I would install skins or something. As soon as I get used to it they change it. WHY? They made it look more like iPhone interface. If I wanted iPhone interface I would buy an iPhone. Just sell the mobile devices division of Samsung to Apple already. Why not? Forced updates were the whole reason I stayed away from apple for so long. At least apple stays consistent with their UI.

Attachments

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I had the software update notice last night and it's the first time in I've ever clicked the "continue" button. I hate forced updates and I always just keep clicking "remind me later" until the illusion of choice expires. But this time around, they told me (at least a smidge) of what they were doing to my phone, and promised 5G network. I accept. Not sure why. It's even slower than 4G. Painfully slow. Unacceptable. WTF. How about make sure it doesn't suck before you roll it out?

Why do these updates always have to be noticeable? Why can't updates just patch security holes and add features (optionally)? My GUI is all different now. If I wanted my GUI different I would install skins or something. As soon as I get used to it they change it. WHY? They made it look more like iPhone interface. If I wanted iPhone interface I would buy an iPhone. Just sell the mobile devices division of Samsung to Apple already. Why not? Forced updates were the whole reason I stayed away from apple for so long. At least apple stays consistent with their UI.
that sucks ... what exact phone do model do you have?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Exactly!

As an IT professional, we developed an aversity to “.0” releases and releases / patches less than a month old. The rule of thumb was never to be the first to upgrade.

The web site I supported had 99.999% availability. More than once, patch Tuesday took down our site. But not really! :D In order to comply with PCI security standards, we had to apply patches within 30 days. But we only applied them to production on day 29. We had mirrored every server in production on an isolated, offline set. Patches were only applied on these offline servers. And more than once, they made these servers dysfunctional (they broke!).

This has bitten me more than once outside of work as well.

An IOS upgrade lost all of my saved content on my iPhone. I had to go to an Apple Genius Bar (another classic oxymoron) to revert to the previous release and recover my content. What was extremely aggravating was my carefully constructed folder organization couldn’t be recovered. I had to go through ~1000 items and reclassify them.

Recently, I was at Walt Disney World and was having trouble making reservations. Disney support (another oxymoron) had me upgrade the app since they had released an update to their app the night before. The update permanently locked me out. I had to use my browser at night and manually copy my reservations into the iPhone Notes app every night.

So I recommend that you DON’T upgrade immediately. Let other users find the bug.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Looks like you are being lied to.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-at-t-5g/sprint-sues-att-over-5g-branding-idUSKCN1PX1JV?
(Reuters) - Sprint Corp sued AT&T Inc late on Thursday, saying it was misleading consumers into believing that they were using fifth generation or 5G wireless network, a technology that has not yet been widely deployed.

AT&T customers were seeing “5G E” logo on their mobile devices in over 400 markets. Even though users are still on 4G network, AT&T is calling it 5G Evolution, Sprint said in the lawsuit.
"We've brought the '5G E' indicator to some of our most popular and capable smartphones simply to help customers know when they are in an area where the enhanced wireless experience may be available," a spokesperson said.
In the future and not on your current phone.
https://www.scribd.com/document/399...deceptive-5G-E-campaign#fullscreen&from_embed

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017

I really don't understand modern philosophy of needing to have the latest and greatest of technology, even though most of it's features and capabilities are neither used nor understood.
I have been around a long time in the electronics industry and remember the vast amount of time I have had to waste because of forced upgrades that introduced more problems than they fixed. Now I am retired and don't have any wish to burden myself with the latest and greatest technology.
My requirements are simple:
I need a portable phone so that I can stay in touch with my family and friends via text and speech.
I need access to the internet for technical and general information and for social networking.
I need a way to take good photographs which I can store electronically and print in hard copy.
I need to be able to access cable TV and internet entertainment.
I need a way to play music in high fidelity so that I can enjoy it.

But I don't need access to all of these requirements at any time, wherever I am, in one expensive small screen (I wear glasses) hand held device , especially when I must make do with optimized performance of all its features.

My solution is the following:
A $70.00 android phone which is only used for text and speech. All the other functions are turned off so It usually lasts 10 or 11 days between charges. It doesn't need upgrades.
A ten year old desktop computer running XP with an external USB drive for backups and storage, which gives me fast access to the internet for information and social networking and software for electronic and mechanical design work. It doesn't need upgrades.
An excellent 6 year old, $140.00, 16 megapixel Fuji camera with X 28 zoom with all the auto and manual settings. It doesn't need upgrades.
A 48" smart TV for cable and internet entertainment. It doesn't need upgrades.
A 25 year old good quality HI-Fi with radio tuner with home-designed speaker system and infra-red remote control. It doesn't need upgrades.
Everything is set up to give me maximum performance for the functions I use. Maintenance is zero and the cost of service providers is minimal.
Why would I want to upgrade and compromise the performance of everything I have?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I agree with everything but the computer(s). I don't use Windows normally so I don't have the hell of forced upgrades. With Linux I can select exactly what I want and use it on cheap last years server-grade hardware for high compute performance at a great price.

Just in today a new toy.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
In my mind, this is worse than the Volkswagen fiasco. Some marketing guys -- and the programmers who lit up "5G" on the display -- ought to go to jail. Along with the top brass.
I'm sure it was just a few rogue rogue engineers..

Michael Horn, CEO of Volkswagen in the United States, told Congress that the decision to put 100 million lines of software code into computers in vehicles to cheat emissions tests was not made at the corporate level.

"This was not a corporate decision. No board meeting or supervisory meeting has authorized this," he said. "This was a couple of rogue software engineers who put this in for whatever reason."

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I agree with everything but the computer(s). I don't use Windows normally so I don't have the hell of forced upgrades. With Linux I can select exactly what I want and use it on cheap last years server
But not always. I have a perfectly good HP pavillion that I can’t upgrade Linux on because of a graphics card that is not supported. Seems some dispute over access to the card drivers and pissed off Linux dudes has resulted in a complete stalemate. And do I have any recourse? No. Pretty soon, I’ll just have to toss it and getting something else.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
But not always. I have a perfectly good HP pavillion that I can’t upgrade Linux on because of a graphics card that is not supported. Seems some dispute over access to the card drivers and pissed off Linux dudes has resulted in a complete stalemate. And do I have any recourse? No. Pretty soon, I’ll just have to toss it and getting something else.
What model?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Almost every card made has a compatible VESA mode because the Windows standard requires it. It might be something about accelerated drivers and real old cards.
I use cheap Nvidia cards and turn off the embedded video on servers. The latest drivers works with GT-710 cards and up.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
After all of the 5G hype, and its rather clumsy deployment, important advances in 6G are currently taking place:

The STC metasurface antenna can harness and manipulate complicated electromagnetic waves in space and frequency domains by utilizing software control. This enables it to generate a precisely tailored beam with any desired radiation pattern.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I really don't understand modern philosophy of needing to have the latest and greatest of technology, even though most of it's features and capabilities are neither used nor understood.
I bought into Wheel v1.0 and it sucked. The hub wasn't even in the center and didn't whithstand the load that Gorg said it should hold. Complete garbage.