Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm trying to figure out who makes 555s (manufacturers), and their part numbers, and any derivitive chips such as CMOS versions.

The problem I'm looking at is 555 is such a widely used number I'm being swamped on searches on the datasites in the resources forum. It includes everything from diodes to transformers (over 1300 entries returned).

If someone has a better idea, or perhaps some keywords I'm not thinking of, I'd be interested.

I'm also interested in researching the history of this chip, who developed it and when. Thanks.

This site seems to have most of the information I wanted, but I would still be interested in anyone elses take. I'm thinking of writing a short artice.

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/datasheets/Datasheet-019/DSA00326678.pdf

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for. I noticed we all referenced the 555 Tutorial. :)

The oral interview was especially what I was looking for, there are some numbers there I've never seen.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yep, but that is only one family. Last I checked over 12 different companies make this part, all with slightly different part numbers.

I wasn't after specs, I was after research material, which I now have.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is part of a larger project.
The 555 Projects
-----------------------------

The 555 IC

The 555 integrated circuit is the most popular chip ever manufactured. Independently manufactured by more than 10 manufacturers, still in current production, and almost 40 years old, this little circuit has withstood the test of time. It has been redesigned, improved, and reconfigured in many ways, yet the original design can be bought from many vendors. The design of this chip was right the first time.

Originally conceived in 1970 and created by Hans R. Camenzind in 1971, over 1 billion of these ICs were made in 2003 with no apparent reduction in demand. It has been used in everything from toys to spacecraft. Due to its versatility, availability, and low cost it remains a hobbyist favorite.

One of the secrets to its success is it is a true black box, its symbolized schematic is simple and accurate enough that designs using this simplification as a reference tend to work first time. You don’t need to understand every transistor in the base schematic to make it work.

It has been used to derive the 556, a dual 555, each independent of the other in one 14 pin package, and is the inspiration of the 558, a quad timer in a 16 pin package. What few weak points the original design has have been addressed by redesigns into CMOS technology, with its dramatically reduced current and expanded voltage requirements, and yet the original version remains.

Originally conceived as a simple timer, the 555 has been used for oscillators, waveform generators, VCO’s, FM discrimination, and a lot more. It really is an all purpose circuit.

Sources

The 555 Timer IC – An Interview with Hans Camenzind (http://semiconductormuseum.com/Transistors/LectureHall/Camenzind/Camenzind_Index.htm)

555 Tutorial (http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/555/555.html)

555 Timer IC Encyclopedia Article (http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/555-timer-IC)

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just curious, have you clicked on any of the links given? They are pretty definitive, complete with history and comments from the creator of the 555, a comprehensive manufacturers list and more. I was doing research for the short article I wrote on post #7. While it isn't in the major leagues, I've contributed to the AAC eBook in several areas. This is a work in progress for me. I have several 555 experiments I'm working on for beginners, one is finished, one I'm just starting. I also have a medium length article about ESD that has been published. You can find them in the Feedback and Suggestions forum.

Like I said, research material.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@Marsden & bertus,

That is a nice write-up and great links. Thanks to you both. One billion per year...it's hard to imagine.

Imagine knowing your invention had touched so many lives.

John

plharby

Joined Dec 3, 2008
You are asking about the famous timer (one-shot) 555.
There has been a number of manufacturers through more than 30 years.
It was first introduced by Signetics who later was bought by Dutch Philips.
Originally was the name NE555. Later it was produced by National Semiconductor, LM555, and Texas Instrument, TLC555P and NE555P.
The former Texas component is a CMOS version.

Good luck!

Harby