555 timer refuses to have duty cycle less than 50% despite diode in parallel with R2

uraniumhexoflorite

Joined Oct 23, 2016
I've been working on a 12 to 5 volt buck converter, but I've run into a problem. The buck converter needs to operate at a duty cycle less than 50%. I've looked at many articles and run many simulations and I've used both the formulas ((r1 +r2)/(r1+2*r2) and r1/(r1+r2)) to calculate the required resistance, but when I set it up on a breadboard, it refuses to work and is usually around 8.3 volts. I'm using a standard astable 555 circuit with a diode in parallel with r2. Any ideas? Thanks.:)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Post a schematic of your circuit and give us more details for your buck regulator (e.g. current requirement). Duty cycle of the switch typically depends on load.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Have you actually checked the mark/ratio of the '555 output or are you assuming it is wrong because the output voltage is higher than you want?
The output voltage will depend on the mark/space ratio, but also on the frequency, the inductor, the output capacitor and the loading on the output.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Here's a schematic of the circuit.
You need 2 diodes pointing in opposite directions and a resistor for each. The 2 resistors determine the charge period and the discharge period. The diodes are basically switches - one resistor only does anything during charging, the other resistor only does anything during discharge. Since the 2 resistors have a common connection; you can insert a pot and make the ratio variable.

The typical textbook example of a 555 PWM control uses 2 of them (or a 556). A monostable is triggered by a variable speed astable - a fixed on period triggered more often fills more of the total time period. This version is *MUCH* easier to arrange a feedback voltage to control it.