555 556 timer circuit electric fence perimeter protection PCB design

huramentzefix2

Joined Apr 12, 2024
I would like to make a 556 timer circuit with a car ignition coild to give my chicken in the backyard some secure space.
My dogs and some stray dogs have killed all my rabnits, so I gave up on my rabbits.
This is my last attempt to leave the dogs alive, if it doesn't work I will silence the dogs.

I like this circuit in this link, specially the neon bulb that takes care of the energy if there is no spark so that it doesn't get backfed.
Do you have any comments on the circuit, is it OK to being produced that way?

How can I get the gerber files, BOM and everything that is needed to order from JLCPBC the easiest way, I have no experience with eagle nor kicad.
Which software would be the easiest and most affordale for the task? I am not looking for anything super fancy that can do a lot of things, just something that is up to the task.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Looks like it might work, especially given that the schematic is from a finished circuit. Figure out a way to observe your output voltage because not all spark coils are the same so you might need to adjust the timing to get the voltage you need.

Please be very careful testing and using this circuit it can destroy components, test equipment, and YOU!

huramentzefix2

Joined Apr 12, 2024
Please be very careful testing and using this circuit it can destroy components, test equipment, and YOU!
You say "can". I need to increase the power output then till you say "will". I am hoping to teach those dogs a big lesson and whip their asses! If they don't recover, good :)

Looks like it might work, especially given that the schematic is from a finished circuit. Figure out a way to observe your output voltage because not all spark coils are the same so you might need to adjust the timing to get the voltage you need.
are you talking about saturation of the coil? How would I determine the output voltage, due to spark length? Or should I check current draw via oscilloscope?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Close. I am not talking about saturation of the coil, when mentioning timing I am talking about getting the current you need before the MOSFET switches off and allows the flyback. Peak voltage will be proportional to the peak current in the coil.

As for measuring the output voltage is concerned, you are going to need something that can measure 10 kV or so.

Have you read up on the kind of voltage you want out of your fence charger?
https://hypertextbook.com/facts/200...e voltage of an electric,can be shocked up to.

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
To increase the output voltage you need more turns on the transformer output winding, and getting the pulse width timing right , you can use a car ignition coil or an old line output transformer from an TV.

Jerry-Hat-Trick

Joined Aug 31, 2022
How can I get the gerber files, BOM and everything that is needed to order from JLCPBC the easiest way, I have no experience with eagle nor kicad.
Which software would be the easiest and most affordale for the task? I am not looking for anything super fancy that can do a lot of things, just something that is up to the task.
My approach would be to lay this circuit out carefully on strip board which you can do without software, gerber files etc. All the components are listed on the schematic so if you construct your own BoM and buy the components you will know the pin spacing.

Most of the circuit is low voltage so track separation should not be a problem except on the right hand side. The two capacitors are rated at 1kV. It takes around 3kV to jump a dry 1mm air gap so those components should probably not be be connected between adjacent tracks

My view is that the circuit as described will provide a sufficiently high voltage to discourage any animal including humans. Typically animals quickly learn to stay clear - with cattle in a field, they quickly realize not to go near the fence so the farmer simply turns it off. You may not care if you kill a dog but it would be more than inconvenient if you kill a human

huramentzefix2

Joined Apr 12, 2024
the ignition coil is a BY23D3 CUF97 Dodge V8 coil. I don't know how many this dodge uses.

My approach would be to lay this circuit out carefully on strip board which you can do without software, gerber files etc. All the components are listed on the schematic so if you construct your own BoM and buy the components you will know the pin spacing.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Jeddy did you see the eagle files in the link? There should be the spacing?
I neither have eagle nor Kicad.
I have read that there is a plugin for kicad for jlcpbc to have files produces but I have never done it.

Thanks Dick, I am just opening the link you've posted.