50k pot into 10k or 100 ohm pot

Overclocked2300

Joined Apr 24, 2005
How would I Use a 50k Pot as a 10k pot? Ive tried using a 13k resistor, but when I adjust it I get values as high as 16k! It has to be 10k and go down to 0 ohms. Its for hooking up an LCD to the parallel port on the computer.

I had the resistors in parallel with the pot, between the 2 resitor ends, but though expiermentation I found that if I hook up the 13k resistor between the wiper and one end of the pot will will give me 10k. Would this be fine for what I need it for?

Or would I need to hook up 2 13k resistors in parallel (one resistor between the 2 ends and 1 resistor between the wiper and 1 end)?

Gorgon

Joined Aug 14, 2005
Originally posted by Overclocked2300@Oct 24 2005, 04:56 PM
How would I Use a 50k Pot as a 10k pot? Ive tried using a 13k resistor, but when I adjust it I get values as high as 16k! It has to be 10k and go down to 0 ohms. Its for hooking up an LCD to the parallel port on the computer.

I had the resistors in parallel with the pot, between the 2 resitor ends, but though expiermentation I found that if I hook up the 13k resistor between the wiper and one end of the pot will will give me 10k. Would this be fine for what I need it for?

Or would I need to hook up 2 13k resistors in parallel (one resistor between the 2 ends and 1 resistor between the wiper and 1 end)?
[post=11204]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi,
If you want a pot function for the LCD contrast adjustment you need to use two 13k resistors, one from each end to the viper.

I just put this up in a excel sheet and found the if you use two 13k resistors to get a total resistance of 10k3 to 17k1 over the whole range.
Max at the midpoint (25k) and Min on each end. You will have a nonlinear curve on this, but if it's only for contrast adjustment its normally close to one of the end positions. I don't think the LCD would mind a 17k pot? I just looked up on the datasheet of a LCD display and it says 10k-20k.

TOK ;)

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi overclocked,

it's a good thing you're not going to use it on audio. i've done that same thing tying both resistor from both ends of the pot and another way having a resistor connected across both ends so i can have a log effect and guess what, the music sounded terrible. :D :p :D :lol:

moz