5 wire headset microphone issue

Morgan Proffitt

Joined Aug 21, 2019
I am building a device which you plug your headset into which then goes off to an Xbox controller. The issue I am having is I am getting some of the Left/Right audio come through the microphone.
As far as I can tell, my headset has 5 wires (2 grounds. 1 for mic and 1 for audio) and then terminates into a 4 pole jack. Which is fine for normal purpose, however, when introducing a point at which they merge (my device) and then travelling thru another conductor together this noise issue arises. I was wondering if there is a way to remove this noise?

All I can think of is having a high impedance input for the Left/Right audio and having the ground source at the junction, freeing up the ground wire to the microphone.
Any suggestions?
P.S. I have considered the wire resistance, this is probably the problem. I just can't see a way around this

Morgan Proffitt

Joined Aug 21, 2019
Is the microphone signal in its own screened cable to keep it separate from the headphone signal?
Nope. It is one cable. I must clarify, I am only 95% sure there is 5 cables in my headset. There must be, otherwise introducing an extra length of wire with only 4 conductors would make no difference

Morgan Proffitt

Joined Aug 21, 2019