4G phone battery discharging.

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
P4202312.JPG Whats causing my new 4G phone battery to discharge? With phone idle (no calls made or answered), 100% charged battery goes to 66 % in 3 days. What gives? Specs say battery is 3240 mAh and is non-removeable (their words)...You mean it can never be replaced?

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations]

Costs anywhere from $40-$99/ month...and the battery is always going dead...even when you don't use it. Phone designers are a bunch of screwballs if you ask me...Maybe nin-com-poop is a better term.

Last edited:

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
If the phone is switched ON, the battery will discharge over time.

Is your WiFi on? That will consume power, even while scanning for Wifi.
Is your Data ON? Voice calls are different from Data; there will be battery drain on this too.

How long did you expect your battery to hang on to 100% charge?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Geesh.. Must be your first phone ever.. Congrats.. Welcome to the world..
Not that you gave specifics of this phone but I'll assume its a smartphone which means its running an operating system and performing functions all the time... updating its time..checking email..checking for updates..power to turn the display on, location services, gps, nfc, bluetooth, etc... Phones aren't just for making/receiving calls anymore and don't just sit there doing nothing..

Most people need to charge their phones daily...

66% after 3 days of "no phone call use" is absolutely normal and may actually be considered "good"

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Not that you gave specifics of this phone but I'll assume its a smartphone which means its running an operating system and performing functions all the time... updating its time..checking email..checking for updates..power to turn the display on, location services, gps, nfc, bluetooth, etc... Phones aren't just for making/receiving calls anymore and don't just sit there doing nothing..

66% after 3 days of "no phone call use" is absolutely normal and may actually be considered "good"
The fact that the smartphone has now become indespensible makes un-intended battery discharge a source of great consternation to me.
Further, if you are going to be someplace where AC power is un-available or un-reliable, leave your 4G phone at home because it will be useless after 1 week.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Whats causing my new 4G phone battery to discharge? With phone idle (no calls made or answered), 100% charged battery goes to 66 % in 3 days. What gives?
That's just how the world works now. Your particular phone has shown good standby time actually.

If you don't want the phone to discharge, don't charge up the phone or don't have a phone.

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
If the phone is switched ON, the battery will discharge over time.

Is your WiFi on? That will consume power, even while scanning for Wifi.
Is your Data ON? Voice calls are different from Data; there will be battery drain on this too.

How long did you expect your battery to hang on to 100% charge?
I guess...forever... Whats wrong with that?

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
don't recall seeing any phones on the market that come with free unlimited energy

please let me know if you find one

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009

You guys are a bunch of screwballs if you think that that is normal operation...

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You guys are a bunch of screwballs if you think that that is normal operation...
Alright.. you caught us... We were just joking with you...
You are just too smart for us and we can't fool you anymore..

Yes you phone is clearly defective.. All 4G phones now include a new unobtanium battery that should never go below 98% charge.
I'd suggest taking it back to the store and making a big stink about it and demand to speak with the store manager..
Make sure you scream at them that your phone is at only 66% charge after 3 days of being turned on..
Make sure other customers hear your complaints so they don't get a defective phone either..

If the store doesn't help them I might try to contact your local news station and have them put you on the news as you are clearly being wronged..

Good luck.. I hope you get a new phone as I too would be so unhappy if my phone was loosing battery capacity so quickly. It must be the 1st generation of unobtanium battery. They were known to have a faulty flux capacitor that would cause a random battery discharge.

Last edited:

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
gotta agree with last post, i have unobtanium (gen 2.1) battery in my phone though i might have to take this one back to get replaced.

only using the phone as a wifi access point for neighbours seeing as they can't afford internet access and its down to 92% after 3 weeks. they told me when i bought it that it would only lose 10%/month

gonna be over 10% by the end of the month :/

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Alright.. you caught us... We were just joking with you...
You are just too smart for us and we can't fool you anymore..

Yes you phone is clearly defective.. All 4G phones now include a new unobtanium battery that should never go below 98% charge.
I'd suggest taking it back to the store and making a big stink about it and demand to speak with the store manager..
Make sure you scream at them that your phone is at only 66% charge after 3 days of being turned on..
Make sure other customers hear your complaints so they don't get a defective phone either..

If the store doesn't help them I might try to contact your local news station and have them put you on the news as you are clearly being wronged..

Good luck.. I hope you get a new phone as I too would be so unhappy if my phone was loosing battery capacity so quickly. It must be the 1st generation of unobtanium battery. They were known to have a faulty flux capacitor that would cause a random battery discharge.

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Well, maybe not forever...but for the phone's useful life...nowadays, that means 36 to 48 months. After which, it becomes obsolete and ends up in the ever-burgeoning landfills.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You weren't (by chance) part of the team that designed these crappy 4G phones...were you?
What world do you live in?

Please.. answer this..
Have you ever had a smart phone before? You couldn't possibly IMO.. So congrats on becoming a smart phone owner..

Its asinine to expect a cell phone battery to last more than a few days (a week MAX) when turned on without being charged even if you aren't using it...

The phone, even when you have the screen black/off/locked, is still performing functions which all cause the battery to be used because the power to perform those functions must come from somewhere.. Its processing to see if a call is coming in.. checking for email/text messages... checking for updates to the phone and its various software apps.. logging your gps location...checking for available wi-fi signals... being a clock... waiting for unlock/swipes from the user and more..

Now there are things like "airplane mode" and disabling certain gps/wifi services that can reduce the battery draw.. But you aren't going to get more than a week MAX even if you don't even turn the phone screen on/use it.

Either you are a troll doing this for kicks (pretty lame attempt) or you are completely oblivious to the modern world and electronics in general.. Or maybe just an old crabby man that just got a new smart phone and has no idea about reality.. I so hope its the first or I feel sorry for you. Well I feel sorry for you anyway and think its probably the second.

Good luck in life....
Do like the rest of the world does and just plug it into the charger and set it next to your nightstand or whatever each night..
Wait till you ACTUALLY use the phone daily and see that it probably requires charging every night.... You are gonna love that.. But its NORMAL..
What you are experiencing is TOTALLY normal..
Want the battery to last longer.. Then turn the phone completely off (POWER OFF)... Just locking it/turning off the screen is not sufficient to prevent any/all battery drain.

mcgyvr out..