48v flooded led acid battery lower max charge voltage good or bad?

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
I see on the internet where most manufacturers recommend a max charge voltage or absorption voltage of 57.6v-58.8v for flooded led acid battery. I have a nova 48v 3000watt 110vac pure sinewave inverter that allows a max of 57.1v input voltage. Because of this i cannot set my charge controller to 57.6v-58.8v according to what most manufacturers said you should charge a 48v flooded led acid battery to.

If I set the charge controller to cut off at 57v or 57.1v which it will go in the absorption stage at that voltage and then afterwards it will cut down to a float charge voltage of around 54v will I still be able to fully charge the flooded led acid battery? Is there any pros and cons with charging the 48v battery bank at a lower voltage setting than the recommended charge voltage which is 57.6v to 58.8v?

Is charging at the lower voltage setting increase my charging time to fully charge the battery?
is charging at a slightly lower voltage better for the battery?

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
... here is some general information ... posted recently:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery

If I use the same low voltage of 57.1v for the cutoff voltage for the charge controller and the battery starts to charge going through the normal stages: bulk, absorb and then reaches a point where the float charge current is now charging at 1% of the battery bank amps capacity, would this suggest that the battery bank is completely charge? And in that case would the SG of the cells always be in the full charge stage/normal level whenever the charging stops and the battery comes to the rest voltage?

Would this prevent electrolyte from stratifying once the battery SG reading is showing normal level for all the cells when you check them at the rest voltage?
Would you still need to equalize the battery bank even thou the battery bank has got a full charge at least once in less than one week? or in less than 2 weeks?
Would you still get maximum capacity and avoid sulfation on the negative plate once you manage to get full charge for the battery at this low voltage setting?
Would you manage to get full charge for the battery at the same low voltage below room temp once you have high amps kicking into the battery most of the time from an oversize solar array?

Therefore if you oversize on you solar array so that you can get full charge and get the SG readings for the cells in the normal level most of the times then these limitations would not occur charging at the low voltage setting all the time
"Slow charge time; capacity readings may be inconsistent and declining with each cycle. Sulfation may occur without equalizing charge"
Am I correct?

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
If I disable the ovp I don't think the inverter will fry. The Labelling and the specs shows that it can
Handle 42-60v input. I am just wondering if is the manufacturer limit it to 57.1v. The voltage during charging won't pass 58.8v. The charge controller will limit it from going any further. So is there a way to disable the ovp instead of adjusting it?

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
If i place a Battery Desulfator Circuit on the battery bank will that prevent sulfation from occuring charging the battery bank to only 57.1v at all times and not performing any equalizing?

Or suppose I place the battery desulfator circuiut on the battery bank and I equalize every once a month will this method give me back my full capacity ready every once a month and prevent long term sulfation from occuring on the battery bank due to the fact the the desulfator circuit is always connected and doing this routine will allow me to get the full life span out my battery bank?