4-layer PCB Design using eagle.

Abhijeet Gorey

Joined Mar 5, 2015
Hii All,

I am new to eagle and I have to implement 4-layer PCB layout using eagle. I am not having any idea about four layers board design. I will be highly appreciated if any one can send me the step by step procedure that I should follow to make my board. How to define the inner two layers as VCC and ground. I am confused with it. Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Best Regards
Abhijeet

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC

Does your version of eagle support that complex design. I do not think free version will.
If so , have you made any circuit using single layer ?

Abhijeet Gorey

Joined Mar 5, 2015
Welcome to AAC

Does your version of eagle support that complex design. I do not think free version will.
If so , have you made any circuit using single layer ?
Yes Sir,
My version of Eagle do support that design and Yes I have worked on single layer design previously. But dont know how to start with 4 layer design

Thank You.

Abhijeet Gorey

Joined Mar 5, 2015
Thank You Very Much all. I will try doing the board following to the docs you provided. Still If any problem comes i'll ask you. Thanks again in advance for your kind help.

regards
Abhijeet

Abhijeet Gorey

Joined Mar 5, 2015
Hii All,

Can anyone of you please help me with the dimensions that I should give or use in various design rule parameters for 4 layer board on eagle?? Thanks in advance for your reply.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Dimension depends on your requirements of board size limitations and complexity .

Are u talking about the copper thickness ?

Abhijeet Gorey

Joined Mar 5, 2015
Dimension depends on your requirements of board size limitations and complexity .

Are u talking about the copper thickness ?
Yes Copper thickness is one. Also I wont to know how should I define 2nd layer as GND and 3rd layer as Vcc in 4 layer board. Can you please help me with solving my this doubt?? Thanks in advance.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
As for design rules, check with various board houses. They will often have a downloadable file with the design rules they require. The default Eagle rules aren't bad, but they are a bit on the conservative side.

Since you seem to be uncertain about how to use copper pours, do you know about the ability to rank them? Also, do you know there are different types of vias?

John

Abhijeet Gorey

Joined Mar 5, 2015
As for design rules, check with various board houses. They will often have a downloadable file with the design rules they require. The default Eagle rules aren't bad, but they are a bit on the conservative side.

Since you seem to be uncertain about how to use copper pours, do you know about the ability to rank them? Also, do you know there are different types of vias?

John
Ok Thank you... Can you please tell me the steps to follow for multilayer board. example. 1. Specify Design Rules. 2. Put Inner layer polygons and so on.. I dont know just I thought these steps. Can anyone of you please tell me the steps that I should follow in sequence. It will be of great help.
Thanks
Abhijeet

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I bet you did not go through the files we provided.
If you do not read them how can you learn.
We read them and did it. So can you.

Abhijeet Gorey

Joined Mar 5, 2015
I bet you did not go through the files we provided.
If you do not read them how can you learn.
We read them and did it. So can you.
Sir, I read that files and manual, based on it only I made my board but I am having some confusions that's why I am asking for that steps. If you say i can send you my board that I made by reading to manual and your guidance. I am still having doubts in declaring Different voltage levels on same layer. i am very sorry if you felt so.

Thank You.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I believe you have to make more than one polygon in that layer for different voltages
It might help if you post your .brd file

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sir, I read that files and manual, based on it only I made my board but I am having some confusions that's why I am asking for that steps. If you say i can send you my board that I made by reading to manual and your guidance. I am still having doubts in declaring Different voltage levels on same layer. i am very sorry if you felt so.
Thank You.
How are we to help you, if you won't describe what your confusion is? If it is to get different nets or copper pours on the same layer, that process is no different for a 4-layer board than it is for a one-layer board. I suggested that you needed to learn about "ranks" for your polygon pours. Have you done that?

I agree with R!f@@ that you need to provide more concrete information. Your board file (.brd) is essential. Please include the schematic too.

EDIT: I have uploaded a draft of a PCB with three different pours on one side. The two inner ones are rank 1; the outer one is rank 2. Therefore, the outer one doesn't cover the inner ones. Play with it and see how it works -- I hope it still works.

John

Attachments

Last edited: