4 4 2 YCbCr to RGB conversion

varden

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Hi. I am trying to create a vhdl code for sending image from pal camera to vga screen. I use decoder which converts pal video output to 4 4 2 ycbcr format. I want to convert data from ycbcr to rgb format inside fpga. There are formulas on internet but I dont fully understand the logic. For example I got 1440 byte data coming per line which means 11,520 bit. Rgb requires 12 bit per pixel and my monitor have 1280 pixel in one line. So I need 15,360 bit. How do I arrange these numbers? And do I have to store data in memory? Can't I just send coming data to vga output?

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
In order to convert PAL to RGB on the fly, there are 2 ways, depending on your performance requirements:
1. You reverse the calculation of the YCbCr (which is YUV, disregarding the bipolar aspect) and output the RGB Values, or (slower)
2. You precalculate a table and use the YCbCr as an index into the table and spit out the table value (faster)

Having said that, I'm not sure where you're getting a 4:4:2 combination- it doesn't seem to be common, but it is possible to use just 6 bits.

As for actually displaying it on a VGA screen, you need to know something about timing and feeding video signals (vbl, front porch, back porch, etc)- that is not what an FPGA is good for.

Last edited: