37KVA 3 Phase Generator Connection with UPS to Charge Batteries.

Asad Ullah_1498065910

Joined Jun 21, 2017
Hi All - I have recently purchased a 5kw Hybrid (Solar 2.5kw+ Wind 2.5kw) power generation system. Turns out, there isnt enough wind to even produce 1.5kw so i intend to remove the wind mill and instead add 5kw more power from solar panels. Total (7.5kw solar powered system) and i want to connect an existing generator 37KVA to the UPS to charge the batteries, if needed, at night.

The problem with shifting to just solar is that i will need more batteries for backup during the whole night. Details of the solar system are as follows.
24 x 310W Panels.
4 x Nerada MPG 200AH 12V Polymer gel Battery in series (50v)
(i will add 4 more in parallel when upgrading to 7.5kw system)
Inverex Hybrid 5kw inverter 50v~220VAC

At night, the batteries might get discharged so will connect my generator with the UPS to charge the batteries. The question is,

1. Is it ok if i take 1 phase out from its 3 phase star output (1 live, 1 neutral) and connect that with the UPS so that it charges the batteries for an hour at night? I understand this will be an unbalanced load, will it damage my generator in the long run?
2. In order to balance the load on all three phases, can i use a 3phase to single phase converter (does it exist?) and then wire this single phase with the UPS to charge the batteries?
3. Since the generator is huge (37KVA, 3phase), at what amperes will it be charging the batteries (4 series batteries) which are having an output voltage of 50V?
4. At what amperes will it charge 8 batteries (4 series connected in parallel with 4 more series batteries)
5. The batteries are Deep Cycle 200AH Batteries. At 50% Depth of Discharge, can i get to know how long will it take for the generator to charge the batteries?

Note: Assume there is no load connected with the batteries.
If you dont understand something or need more details of the equipment, please don't hesitate in asking, i will be more than willing to respond.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Most any decent larger three phase generator can easily handle at least 50% of it's rated KVA capacity being taken off any one phase without issue.

Many can also be reconfigured into dedicated full single phase capable modes as well. Full delta or Zig-Zag output configurations can take 100% load on single phase.