... .` ...` `.. `. ``. `.. ``..`.. .

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
.. - .... --- ..- --. .... - ..- --. ..- -.-- ... .-- . .-. . .... .- -- ... .-.-.-

..-. -... .. ... ... .... .-. - .... -. -.. ..-. . .-. --- -.- --. .-. . .- - . - -.-.

-.-. .-- .. ... .... --- .-- .. - .. .. ... . -. - .... .. (laugh)
Huh??:confused:

ITHOUGHTUGUYSWEREHAMS.-.-.-

..-.BISSHRTHNDFEROKGREATET-.-.

-.-.WISHOWITIISENTHI

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Could you elaborate?

I can not understand what you are trying to say, since when I translate your morse code it comes out to be ineligible gibberish......

This what you posted last, and how it translate from morse code...

ITHOUGHTUGUYSWEREHAMS.-.-.-

..-.BISSHRTHNDFEROKGREATET-.-.

-.-.WISHOWITIISENTHI
What does that mean????

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The US Coast Guard Signs off on morse code in 1995. Perhaps Allvol is a Coast Guard radio operator from that time period, but slightly rusty in his/hers morse code implementation. Or maybe it is a boy/girl scout code that Allvol challenge you to decode :p

AllVol

Joined Nov 22, 2005
I can not understand what you are trying to say, since when I translate your morse code it comes out to be ineligible gibberish......

This what you posted last, and how it translate from morse code...

What does that mean????
Simple translation:

I thought u guys were hams.

F(ine) B(usiness) is shrthnd (shorthand) for ok great etc.

CW is how it is sent (continuous wave, and also shrthnd for "morse code"). The ".... .." was our LOL.

Yes, back when hams were required to be proficient in the sending and receiving of morse code (CW), the use of abbreviations was commonplace. When spending hours at the key, spelling out every word, especially those words and phrases used frequently, became a chore. Hams pilfered a lot of phraseology from the military and even railroad and Western Union operators, as well as having their own set of "Q" signals for reporting signal strengths or other technical and personal language. When CW was still considered a viable way of message sending, the shorthand really came in handy. (Anyone remember the MARS days?)

Sorry to upset you guys with some talk of the old days. I thought everyone knew.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
..-. ..- -. -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- --- ..-. - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - .. -. --. .. - --..-- .. -.-. .- -. -. --- - ..-. .. --. ..- .-. . .. - --- ..- - . .. - .... . .-. .-.-.- .-.. --- .-..
-.-- . .- ....
.. -- .- .... --- --- -
-.-- --- ..- ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. ... . . -- . .. -. .-. . .- .-.. .-.. .. ..-. .

:)

loosewire, don't you dare start a braille thread!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Did it upset the truists like text-speak does on message boards these days?
ie:

ur sk8ing on thn ice.. but IDK. i 8> U, U R so smrt. can u hlp me thru teh crkt?

.. - ... ..- .-. . -.. .-. .. ...- . ... -- . -.-. .-. .- --.. -.--

AllVol

Joined Nov 22, 2005
Did it upset the truists like text-speak does on message boards these days?
ie:

ur sk8ing on thn ice.. but IDK. i 8> U, U R so smrt. can u hlp me thru teh crkt?

.. - ... ..- .-. . -.. .-. .. ...- . ... -- . -.-. .-. .- --.. -.--
LOL. I don't think there were many purists when it came to ham CW work. If you're working 80 meter cw band, for example, trying to pull up the station you're talking to through the mud and QRM, you hope he isn't trying to write a work of Shakespere. Remember, we didn't have code readers then, it was just your ear and brain and the scrawls on paper. In other words, we spoke short and quick out of necessity. Also, when working dx, the propagation changes so quickly you have to send and get off in order to work another station.

I think today's text-speak is mostly a part of the fad.

Speaking of crazy, I can't read what you wrote in code. I have to whistle the dits and dahs to hear the letter. It's driving my wife crazy.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Big problem with text speak is:

It is the only English (if you call it English) many people know. So we often get non-English speaking people here looking for technical help and they are trying to get their thoughts across in jibber-jabbiddie text spoken broken English.

Tell your wife you are whistling at her. ;)

AllVol

Joined Nov 22, 2005
I don't know if many are interested in this subject, but here is an example of why CW in the old ham days was brief and to the point:

In the late 1970's there were few ham radio operators in Japan, therefore that country was rare dx (distant station).

For a period of several weeks, a station began operating there and the guy's only intent was to answer as many statewide contacts as possible. Every evening, between the hours of six and seven, eastern time IIRC, he would be on the air on a certain frequency. As the propagation wave moved eastward you could hear other stations answering his CQ's, but not him. Then, slowly, you'd begin to hear his signal, faintly at first, then growing stronger. When the conditions seemed right, you'd answer his CQ with your call sign only. If he heard you, you'd hear your call repeated, and would later receive a QSL card confirming the contact. Otherwide, you tried again the next night.

The point of this story is to iterate that the brevity of CW messages was by circumstance. In those days of reliable communication only on 80 and 40 meters and with the amount of traffic being carried, the idea was to talk short and quick. Off peak hours, and when conditions were poor, were the times for CW rag-chewing.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Ahh.. so you didn't know if you had 30 seconds of xmit clarity or an hour. So you got to the point just in case the signal fades.

AllVol

Joined Nov 22, 2005
Or another signal rode in on top of the one you're working (happened very frequently) or sudden sunspot activity, or the antenna blows over, or something. LOL.

AllVol

Joined Nov 22, 2005
Being a magnitude or so older than most here, I think they were the Good Ole Days. At least I coped better then than I do now.

Of course, some folks think I'm coming down with a bad case of C-nile flu.