30A 1KV BJT - How did they DO that?!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

The structures that let IGBT's handle 60 amps @ 1200 volts must have something to do with it. Might even be a fair replacement for the old 2N3055.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
I am not that current on BJT process, but I believe that device is manufactured with planar process. Probably have special junction edge termination structures on the strips and N-epitaxy to handle the extra electric field and avoid puncture.

Anyway, the BVceo is 450V, as always, lower than the quoted BVces of 1KV.

I wonder how much more expensive it is compared to a similarly rated IGBT. Any idea on price?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Three bucks a pop on e-Bay. Thanks for the replies so far, gents!

Also, are they really using beach sand today? A couple decades ago they used quarry sand exclusively, due to purity. Lots of things have changed, I guess.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am not that current on BJT process, but I believe that device is manufactured with planar process. Probably have special junction edge termination structures on the strips and N-epitaxy to handle the extra electric field and avoid puncture.

Anyway, the BVceo is 450V, as always, lower than the quoted BVces of 1KV.

I wonder how much more expensive it is compared to a similarly rated IGBT. Any idea on price?
The planar process is not new; it goes back to the dawn of the integrated circuit.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
So a little bit more expensive then, if ebay prices are authoritative.

I've heard that the beach sand is specially imported from one of Australia's many beaches.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
The planar process is not new; it goes back to the dawn of the integrated circuit.
Of course, it is not new. What I am saying is, a few years ago most of HV BJTs were fabricated with planar process and because I'm not really up to date with current BJT process, there might be currently newer approaches in HV BJTs manufacturing.

But most probably, they are still manufactured with planar process because the process does not intrinsically limit the breakdown voltage. It depends more on process parameters, structures and resulting characteristics issues.