3 Way wirless communication radio project HELP??

Belal Aly

Joined Nov 21, 2014
Hello There:

I'm currently in the process of designing a flight simulator for my university, however im having a major issues with the communicatio radio for the simulator. For this i need to develop and build a 3 way wirless communication systme with the ability to perform cockpit intercom (between two headsets) and external Push-to-talk feature (on a external 3rd headset).The two headsets in the cockpit can be wired together no problem, however the 3rd headset with the push to talk feature needs to be wirless connected to the other two headsets. This will involve providing two headsets within the cockpit which have automatic communication with each other with the off, volume and squelch control on the dashboard. Communication with a 3rd, external headset is achieved by pressing and holding a button on the flight controls.

can any one help me determine a soloution for this required system?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The intercom has pilot and co-pilot Push-To-Talk inputs. With the PTT switches both open, there is a audio squelch circuit that mutes both mics when no-one is talking. If either pilot or copilot talks, the squelch opens, and both hear each other. If either the pilot or copilot keys their respective PTT, the audio from only that mic is routed to the aircraft radio's transmitter. The transmitter supplies the sidetone, so both pilot hear what is being transmitted. The keying output from the intercom keys the aircraft transmitter.

Sounds like you would like the third party (instructor?) to be able to monitor what the pilot and copilot are saying to each other, and to be able to give instructions to them both. This would require that the third headset's earcups be wired in parallel with the existing headphone audio (trivial). The instructor's mic would need to simulate what the aircraft's radio receiver audio normally provides. Any audio coming from the aircraft receiver overrides the intercom traffic so that both pilot and copilot hear it.... (requires a simplistic amplifier).

Are you aware of the voltage levels used by aircraft mics and headsets (Not the same as computer and telephone headsets)?

I can also give you some old passive aircraft headsets that I have laying around. I have upgraded my headsets to noise cancelling headsets like these...

Belal Aly

Joined Nov 21, 2014
The intercom has pilot and co-pilot Push-To-Talk inputs. With the PTT switches both open, there is a audio squelch circuit that mutes both mics when no-one is talking. If either pilot or copilot talks, the squelch opens, and both hear each other. If either the pilot or copilot keys their respective PTT, the audio from only that mic is routed to the aircraft radio's transmitter. The transmitter supplies the sidetone, so both pilot hear what is being transmitted. The keying output from the intercom keys the aircraft transmitter.

Sounds like you would like the third party (instructor?) to be able to monitor what the pilot and copilot are saying to each other, and to be able to give instructions to them both. This would require that the third headset's earcups be wired in parallel with the existing headphone audio (trivial). The instructor's mic would need to simulate what the aircraft's radio receiver audio normally provides. Any audio coming from the aircraft receiver overrides the intercom traffic so that both pilot and copilot hear it.... (requires a simplistic amplifier).

Are you aware of the voltage levels used by aircraft mics and headsets (Not the same as computer and telephone headsets)?

I can also give you some old passive aircraft headsets that I have laying around. I have upgraded my headsets to noise cancelling headsets like these...
That all sounds great !! thanks ! how can i get hold of this from you?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Send me a private message, and lets try to figure out what the shipping costs would be...

Please respond to this: