3 watts BJT Amplifier

Merk Morondos

Joined Sep 20, 2016
Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You should check the specification on any alternative that you choose as those lists were produced by a website auotmagically. I have not personally checked that they are all good replacements. For instance, they come in different packages. That may not matter if you are building this from scratch but it will matter if you have a PCB designed around those original transistors.

Merk Morondos

Joined Sep 20, 2016
We tried to test it in breadboard and we observed that the transistors on our output(replacement) gets hot easily and make some smell.And one of our resistor overheats (resistor 0.5) .what we will do to solve that kind of problem on our circuits

We used 2sc3420 and 2sb1165

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The current through the two 0.5Ω resistors should be equal and so they should get equally hot. If only one of them is getting hot then something is wrong. Which resistor is getting hot?

Check the transistor connections and if it is R8 which is getting hot check C2 polarity.

Merk Morondos

Joined Sep 20, 2016
Resistor 7 is the one getting hot. I think our capacitor 2 is on the right polarity. The output transistor have different specs with each other is that ok ?

Merk Morondos

Joined Sep 20, 2016
Our original transistor have equal specs but the only difference is npn and pnp but on our replacement they have different Ic Vce Power rating but same current gain

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You have 6.6V rms at the output? Is this with no input?

I can't see where the current is coming from that is making R7 hot if it isn't through R8, but then they would be equally hot.
Check the component connections very carefully and as it is on a breadboard, make sure that none of the component leads are shorting together.

Merk Morondos

Joined Sep 20, 2016

I can't see where the current is coming from that is making R7 hot if it isn't through R8, but then they would be equally hot.
Check the component connections very carefully and as it is on a breadboard, make sure that none of the component leads are shorting together.
Ok I will try again tomorrow. Thanks again

Merk Morondos

Joined Sep 20, 2016

AlbertHall I found out that our Vin in the function generator is 1.41 when we tested in our circuit but in our schematic it is just 0.5.
Can you help me to edit my circuit having the following specs :
Gain of 8
1 Vrms
3 Watts
Any value of load
12 Vcc
no clipping

thank you in advance

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The short answer to that is no.
With Vcc = 12V the maximum output you can get is around 4V rms so an input of 1V rms and a gain of 8 will drive the amplifier well into clipping.
The output power will depend on the load impedance. You will get 3W if the load is 5.3Ω. If the load is greater than that you will get proportionally lower power and if the load is less than this you will get more power delivered to the load.

Did you fix the overheating? What caused it?