3 Phase Rectifier

Thread Starter

enigmapaul

Joined Dec 12, 2008
2
Hi,

If I need a solid 350VDC output from a 3-phase generator, can someone point me to the equations to use to figure out how much peak to peak voltage I must maintain on the output of the generator to achieve the DC voltage out using a 3-phase rectifier?

Thanks!
 

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
4,843
Hi,

If I need a solid 350VDC output from a 3-phase generator, can someone point me to the equations to use to figure out how much peak to peak voltage I must maintain on the output of the generator to achieve the DC voltage out using a 3-phase rectifier?

Thanks!
Vdc=1.35*VL

Vdc=output voltage of the rectifier
VL=RMS value of the line voltage
 

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
22,230
Vdc=1.35*VL
Vdc=output voltage of the rectifier
VL=RMS value of the line voltage
That's an extremely rough approximation even at low voltages, and the accuracy is much worse at higher voltages.

A closer approximation would be:
Vdc=1.4142*(VL-VF)
where:
Vdc= output of the rectifier
VL = RMS of the line voltage
VF = Forward voltage of the rectifier(s) in series
But this still does not account for smoothing capacitors and current in the circuit.
 
Top