3 audio inputs, one audio output

stillgrowingup

Joined Jul 15, 2015
Hello all,

I have had great help here with the AAC community. Thank you all for your support and ideas helping my projects become a reality. :)

I am looking to create a audio mixer of sorts. The idea is ... there will be 3 audio inputs, out to one audio output. The inputs will be a car stereo of 20 watts RMS and (2) soundboards with 7 watts RMS. These inputs will merge to ONE audio output. This Audio output is for a LED Spectrum graph that responds to the audio being sent to it.

These 3 inputs will be tapped (Parallel) from a speaker that will also be playing the audio. It would be nice to have a trimmer pot for volume inputs. There will NOT be a selector switch to choose which input will go to the output. ALL 3 inputs will delivery to the same audio output, whenever an audio is played from ANY 1 of the 3 inputs.

Is this possible to do without Audio interference and popping noise spiking through the LED Spectrum graph when a audio becomes present to the output?

I have done something like this before. I placed (2) separate 7 watt peak audio outputs to one 20 watt RMS amplifier input. I had to use Electro caps to make it work without a popping sound during playback. It worked fine.

But what I propose now, seems to be a little more complex. And I am at a lost on where to start.

TONY

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Its possible that the car amplifier is a Bridged output, and so you wont be able to use a common ground, you may have to use a differential amplifier on each channel...

stillgrowingup

Joined Jul 15, 2015
Its possible that the car amplifier is a Bridged output, and so you wont be able to use a common ground, you may have to use a differential amplifier on each channel...
Hi dodgyDave

For this 3 in, 1 out. It will be a car radio, not a dedicated amplifier. The car stereo is NOT bridge able. Same with the soundboards. Does that make a difference?

Tony

Last edited:

stillgrowingup

Joined Jul 15, 2015
@crutschow ... Thanks for chiming in here. I value your input.

So you know for a fact that all outputs share a common ground(?).
The car stereo use an IC chip for its amplified system. The negative output comes from IC, not directly from ground. .... I actually haven't seen a common ground car speaker system since the 1980's.

I have contacted the manufacture of the soundboard to confirm if the audio negative output is a ground. I did use my Fluke meter on resistance and measured nothing between ground and the speaker output, while the soundboard was off.

TONY

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Or, use only 1 of the two bridge outputs through a coupling capacitor. As long as it is not class-D relying on the speaker for filtering (like the TI "filterless" class D parts), the two bridge outputs are analog signals 180 degrees out of phase.

ak