3-5 minute timed 110v setup?

Steve Mayfield

Joined Jun 5, 2015
We recently purchase a store that has quite a few animatronic displays built in the late 90’s. While most are still working, the motors for them are 110v electric motors.

I would like to have a circuit where there is a momentary push button that the public would have access to for each animatronic. When they press the button, the figurine would turn on for a few minutes, and then shut off. Each figurine has a standard 110v plug for power.

Is there something out in the market, or a combination of items that I could make such a timer fairly easily, or am I relegated to having something built by an electrical expert for each figurine?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Steve Mayfield
You could install a motion sensor like used in security lighting. They automatically turn on for 2 to 10 minutes (often adjustable) and then turn off. You may have to test some type of hand-swipe switch and appropriate shielding around the sensor so it does not turn on every time someone walks by. Some work better than others. Mount them in a steelers sealed PVC junction box to keep it safe. Get PVC conduit and threaded PVC adapters to connect them to the junction box.