2n3053

mshale

Joined Sep 25, 2007
It seems Radioshack has a thing against this general purpose transistor. Are there any equvalents that I could use? The project that i'm working on is a circuit to delay-on my headlamps on my car. A rough drawing is in this thread. thanks!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Don't know about 2N3053's, but Mouser has 2N1613's and no minimum order. T0-5 transistors are a bit hard to find. Some of the T0-92 transistors by Zetex are also pretty good equivalents, too. A ZTX652 is good for 60 volts and 2 amps. If the transistor is just a saturated switch, either of these will substitute.

mshale

Joined Sep 25, 2007
Don't know about 2N3053's, but Mouser has 2N1613's and no minimum order. T0-5 transistors are a bit hard to find. Some of the T0-92 transistors by Zetex are also pretty good equivalents, too. A ZTX652 is good for 60 volts and 2 amps. If the transistor is just a saturated switch, either of these will substitute.
Thanks, I was looking at RadioShack, and found those 2N1613's and got 2 of them. They have the same collector/emittor values - I just wanted to make sure that I could actually use them. Thanks again!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
For what you're doing, you could just use 2N2222A's.

For that matter, you could use TIP120's - they're NPN Darlington transistors in a TO220 case. Overkill, but with the overkill comes reliability.

mshale

Joined Sep 25, 2007
For what you're doing, you could just use 2N2222A's.

For that matter, you could use TIP120's - they're NPN Darlington transistors in a TO220 case. Overkill, but with the overkill comes reliability.
Funny. You are not the first person to complain about Radioshack's poor stock selection.
Thanks to all of your for your replies. However, it is too late, aa i have ordered the two that i need from Newark. I also got the two relays - all for like $5. However i do have one more question, and maybe it's meant for another section. But i need to be able to plug those regular automotive relays into a socket and have it fit into my breadboard (and eventually a real circuit board if it works). seems that Alliedelec.com is the place to get them. Question is what flavor of 4/5 pin socket do I need?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Happened to check stock on 2N3053's at Skycraft Surplus in Orlando this afternoon - they must have at least a couple hundred of them. They're going for $0.75/ea. Google is your friend, here.

Better off to use a substitute, though - particularly for your application. Why build something with an obsolete part when there's equivalent or better out there?

(said while laying out a PCB for an XR-2206-driven oscillator - yeesh! Well, I've had it for a while... might as well use it.)

mshale

Joined Sep 25, 2007
Happened to check stock on 2N3053's at Skycraft Surplus in Orlando this afternoon - they must have at least a couple hundred of them. They're going for $0.75/ea. Google is your friend, here.

Better off to use a substitute, though - particularly for your application. Why build something with an obsolete part when there's equivalent or better out there?

(said while laying out a PCB for an XR-2206-driven oscillator - yeesh! Well, I've had it for a while... might as well use it.)

yeah, I found them pretty cheap, and now i have the 3053's on the way and i had already purchased the substitutes, so I guess I'll just have some extras laying around... til i use 'em of course.