24v dc to 72v dc

siriggy

Joined May 14, 2007
Hi could anyone help, i have a UPS which has 6 x 12 v batterys in series. and i would like to charge it with 24v dc. can this be done.
steve

siriggy

Joined May 14, 2007
my inverter needs 72vdc, how can i charge the batterys with 24vdc from the bus alternator, if all the batterys are in series.

steve

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The short answer is no. The only way I can see doing what you want is to change the configuration during charging. The charging voltage needs to be larger than the battery voltage in all cases that I am familiar with. Where exactly did you get this fancifal notion?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I misread the question.

Since you have a UPS, it already has a charging circuit to charge the battery pack [6 x 12]. Why would you want to charge them with a 24 volt supply?

What is the problem with your UPS?

siriggy

Joined May 14, 2007
i am converting a bus into a mobile home and want to use the ups as my 240vac supply but i need to charge it on the road, i will plug in in 240 at caravan park.
steve

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
i am converting a bus into a mobile home and want to use the ups as my 240vac supply but i need to charge it on the road, i will plug in in 240 at caravan park.
steve
Perhaps someone can come up with a DC to DC converter that will do the job? I did a google search on the topic, found many, but not in that voltage conversion range.

It could be a challenge to try and convert a vehicle alternator to a higher voltage (with the correct regulation) and fit it as a second alternator to your motor home.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Some owners of a Class A mobile home will run their generators while driving down the road to charge their UPS and run the roof top Air Conditioners instead of running the normal vehicle Air Conditioner.