24 V DC to 12 V DC how do I do it people

Albert.c.castro

Joined Nov 9, 2019
Hello everyone
I have a campervan here with a starter battery of 24 vaults and the domestic battery is 12 V DC, I wanted to use a trickle down charger to charge the domestic batteries whilst the motor is running. But it seems to me there’s nothing out there that does this specifically. I found some DC to DC charge Converters that give out 12 vaults which in theory could work but I’m not sure. The starter battery Consists of 12V 90 batteries,And the domestic batteries are to 6 V 205 A each.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome to AAC.

I believe this is going to take something a little more substantial than a buck converter. Charging a battery can draw a lot more amperage. You have TWO 12V 90A batteries for your starter and (assuming) TWO 6V 205A batteries. Are the 6V batteries deep cycle batteries? If so then chances are you're going to need something quite substantial to charge them because there's a chance you could drain those batteries significantly, meaning recharging is going to take a lot of current. I'm no expert on charging batteries so I can't give you numbers. But as @Dodgydave said, float charge for a 12V lead acid battery is 13.6V (or 6.8V per 6V battery).

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You do not need a 12V supply, but a 13.8V one as mentioned above a couple of times.
13.8V versions of that supply are available.
24to13V8.png

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
You need a series/parallel switch for starting and charging. You can find them at Texas Industrial Electric Company. Your alternator can handle all of the charging needs if this was the way it was equipped with starting and house batteries.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
It looks like it fits your requirements. I am a little skeptical though as I have never seen one in action. I prefer a series parallel switch and using the vehicle alternator as it is a proven method. Check out any reviews you can find but it sounds like it fits the bill. Good luck.

Albert.c.castro

Joined Nov 9, 2019
It looks like it fits your requirements. I am a little skeptical though as I have never seen one in action. I prefer a series parallel switch and using the vehicle alternator as it is a proven method. Check out any reviews you can find but it sounds like it fits the bill. Good luck.
Thank for your feedback