230v (EU) 50hz > 120v (US) 60hz - what to do?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
i never understood why would anyone buy a product from another part of the world when the same thing or a variant is also available locally, for the same price and meeting local standards. Brother SE600 is even sold on Amazon (including DE,NL,PL, CZ...).

i would expect that they are the same or nearly identical product that is either using universal supply or has option to easily modify it for different regions. so calling manufacturer support hotline or local repair service may produce valuable info. i would not be surprised if there is a jumper or switch inside that could be moved to a different place to make it work on mains in another country.

even if the motor/control was AC and getting warmer due to different frequency - this is not going to be an instant event. it would be a gradual change under load. so using correct supply voltage obtained through transformer should be enough to test it.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am going to hazard a guess that since this is a computerized embroidery machine that the motors are computer controlled DC motors. Hence the 60Hz/50Hz conversion should make no difference to the DC power supply.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
just did a quick search for teardown and repair... did not find this model but another Brother embroidery machine is using DC motor which is a good indicator that predication is probably right: