2010 Malibu Key Fob Repair

dewisp02

Joined Nov 13, 2020
I received a non-functioning keyfob with my car and upon cracking it open, some of the components have been torn off the PCB. From what I can tell, it appears there is a code hopper that is used to store the info pairing the fob to the ECU. I purchased a cheap fob off ebay to see if I could avoid the dealership (more like stealership) costs for reprogramming the fob by swapping the 8-pin ic from my old fob to the new one.

Today, I received the fob from ebay and it happened to be a Chinese replacement (stock photos were used) and after cracking it open realized they redesigned the circuit. And I cannot get any Google hits when I search for what I believe are the markings on the new fob's chip (marking is very light and small). I am reaching out to see if anyone has any idea what this ic could be and if it would be possible to still swap in the old ic. The markings from what I can tell are 1M952 25V080ATIG P27435. If I cannot swap the IC over, I will most likely return this fob so I can try to find an actual GM one.

I guess I am looking to see if anyone can either help me ID the IC in the new fob so I can pull a spec sheet to compare with the old IC or if anyone else has tried something like this and had any luck. Thanks in advance.

dewisp02

Joined Nov 13, 2020
Or another option would be to try to get schematics for the fob so I could ID the missing components (some surface mount caps, resistors, and what I believe is a resonator), acquire them, and install. So far, the only reference I can find is this page (http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/chevrolet-rke-fob-teardown.htm) so if you have or know where to find the components info or schematics, please let me know. Thanks again.

Last edited:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
What is wrong with the original FOB? I am on a tablet right now and cannot see your first picture. Many of the GM ones are easily repaired. Did the battery clip come off?