2 routers on same connection

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Hi.
Want to make 2 wireless. One for All pc and Phones and onother for My tv and chromecast
Reason = 2 floors and not good covery.
Want to have one on my upper floor, to PC-LAN and the kids phones and PC's.Wifi.
The one on ground floor should be to TV - Chromecast and ofcause the Phone to control the CC.
The internet input is on ground level, and want to add a Router there, and just keep my old one upstairs.

Is there any problems connecting 2 routers, ?
I know the Wifi names should be different,
and the IP Range in First router be 192.168.1.1--256 and on second router ex 192.168.0.1--256
Connect Line from Inet to WAN port on first router, and use Port 1 to connect to WAN port on Router 2.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I have 2 setup One for most stuff and one for casting It works great I have the first one feeding the second hard wired I get way better speed now that the casting is on the second wifi router.

The first one has a 4 ports I just hooked to one and ran cat6 to the second wan post only problem I ran into was they where both at first on same range I Hooked the second one to a computer change it to address hooked it up works great.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi.
Want to make 2 wireless. One for All pc and Phones and onother for My tv and chromecast
Reason = 2 floors and not good covery.
Want to have one on my upper floor, to PC-LAN and the kids phones and PC's.Wifi.
The one on ground floor should be to TV - Chromecast and ofcause the Phone to control the CC.
The internet input is on ground level, and want to add a Router there, and just keep my old one upstairs.

Is there any problems connecting 2 routers, ?
I know the Wifi names should be different,
and the IP Range in First router be 192.168.1.1--256 and on second router ex 192.168.0.1--256
Connect Line from Inet to WAN port on first router, and use Port 1 to connect to WAN port on Router 2.

Get a wireless repeater not a second router. They are made for this purpose.

If you have wiring to the other floor you can look at a Wireless Access Point (WAP) or a switch.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Two wifi routers can do the same thing as a repeater but setting two up and having two networks really works better
You gain speed.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
On mine, I have the second set to use the first one as the gateway and the second has the address server turned off so, once again, it just uses the first.