2 button remote controlled by single input

davidm2232

Joined Dec 31, 2015
I have a remote controlled generator that has a 2 button key fob style remote, one button to start the unit, and one to shut it down. They are both momentary switches. I would like to set it up so a simple switch can be turned on to start the generator and have it run while the switch is on. Then, when the switch is turned off, I would want it to sent a momentary signal to the remote to turn it off. How would I go about this? I'd like to buy something rather than build it if possible

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Why?

Mechanically, you could make a toggle that has two, for the lack of a better word, paddles which press the momentary buttons on the fob. Flip it one way, you’re on. Flip it the other way, it’s off. Mount it on a case to which you insert the fob.

With a little more work, one could hack the fob. Solder wires to the fob push buttons and wire them to a (On) - Off - (On) SPDT or DPDT toggle switch. There are some which stay in one position or the other (for visual status indication) yet you have to toggle a bit further to provide a momentary press.

Without using the fob, this becomes much more difficult because you don’t know how the fob is communicating back. Whatever method is used, you’d have to find a unit with the same communication capabilities and programmed with the same transmitted codes.

davidm2232

Joined Dec 31, 2015
It will be connected to an battery voltage sensing auto start relay. The relay is closed when the voltage is too low and open when the batteries are full.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Some sort of momentary dual relay controller. I'd ideally like to preserve the physical remote as well in case I want to use the generator separately.
In that case, you’ll have to determine what is actually transmitted in order to duplicate the controller. And will need a circuit to create the transmission and a circuit to actually transmit.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
It will be connected to an battery voltage sensing auto start relay. The relay is closed when the voltage is too low and open when the batteries are full.
Hi

So if I understand correctly...

1.There is a signal output from the charge controller that is present if the batteries are fully charged and absent if not charged.

2. The generator remote will need to be keyed “on” or “off” based on the the charge controller status. Or...we need to duplicate the command codes of the remote and incorporate into the new circuit.

3. We need to figure out how to interface the new on/off command circuit to the charge controller and then, maybe, to the generator remote.

Is this correct?

eT

davidm2232

Joined Dec 31, 2015
Hi

So if I understand correctly...

1.There is a signal output from the charge controller that is present if the batteries are fully charged and absent if not charged.

2. The generator remote will need to be keyed “on” or “off” based on the the charge controller status. Or...we need to duplicate the command codes of the remote and incorporate into the new circuit.

3. We need to figure out how to interface the new on/off command circuit to the charge controller and then, maybe, to the generator remote.

Is this correct?

eT
90% correct. I believe the relay is 'closed' when the batteries are in need of charging. Other than that, spot on.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Tell me more
Eetech00 said the same thing in item 2 of his post. Basically if you want to keep the physical remote intact, then you have to duplicate all its functions as well. Generating the codes which the controller expects. Transmitting the codes to the controller.

davidm2232

Joined Dec 31, 2015
Ok...got it.

Is it possible to get a second wireless remote for your unit to cannibalize and use as a second transmitter?
I can look into that. I was hoping to build some sort of case where I could insert the remote and have a servo physically press the buttons. I have a lot of spare RC airplane servos I could use for it

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
An Arduino and a small servo would work.
My granddaughter made a camera controller that used a servo to push the camera button for stop motion and time lapse photography. I was going to 3D print a finger for it but we just ended up using the servo horn.
This may be a good little project, and the Arduino could monitor conditions too.
Here is a simple explanation..
https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Servo-Motors/

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Just thinking about this, I reckon it would be worth while buying or making a second remote. If you just have one, than when that remote fails, the system is down.
See if you can determine the frequency and the code sent by the remote. Some years ago I have a car with an after marked remote so I purchased some from Ebay that had the same IC in them and hooked the code pins up the same, then modded the RF part to move the frequency.
You could use an SDR (Software Defined Radio) to listen to the remote to find the frequency, and if it is on the 433Mhz band, there are plenty remotes and bare boards on Ebay for you to play with. With the boards. the Arduino can directly drive it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Just thinking about this, I reckon it would be worth while buying or making a second remote. If you just have one, than when that remote fails, the system is down.
See if you can determine the frequency and the code sent by the remote. Some years ago I have a car with an after marked remote so I purchased some from Ebay that had the same IC in them and hooked the code pins up the same, then modded the RF part to move the frequency.
You could use an SDR (Software Defined Radio) to listen to the remote to find the frequency, and if it is on the 433Mhz band, there are plenty remotes and bare boards on Ebay for you to play with. With the boards. the Arduino can directly drive it.
@dendad

I mentioned to the TS that something like this is necessary. Based on his response, I think there is still a misunderstanding of how the remote works. I have no clue what s/he is thinking, but it looks like the impression is that pressing buttons “magically” is all that is needed. Hence, I didn’t go into as much detail as you. eetech00 had the best response in suggesting that the TS obtain a second remote control.

I’m waiting and seeing the TS’ next response.

davidm2232

Joined Dec 31, 2015
Going through and building a circuit board or adapting an Arduino is way beyond what I am looking to do. I need something simple and cheap. Was hoping there was already a setup out there I could purchase for $10 or so that would do what I needed