2 bit ALU

Jsfw7698

Joined Jun 4, 2021
I have to design a 2bit ALU, the most simplified possible, y can use Adders and MUX, but de MUX have to be the ones with 4 inputs, this is the table

1625066459309.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Forget about adders for the moment.

You have a function with two inputs f(A,B)
A and B are 2-bit values.

Write out all the possible functions that you wish to perform, i.e. what are all the possible functions f(A,B).
Hint, there are more than four functions.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is it possible that you draw the final circuit so I can see it and understand the logic behind it?
We cannot do that for two reasons.

1) You/we cannot draw a circuit if we don't know what we are designing. You figure out the logic first then you draw the circuit.
2) This is your homework, not ours. You have to learn how to do things on your own.

Jsfw7698

Joined Jun 4, 2021
Ok, I understand, but I cant do the Aritmetic Functions, I really dont understand them, and my professor didnt explained them at all.

Jsfw7698

Joined Jun 4, 2021
I dont think so, My professor only showed us to see the 4 functions and use logic gates or MUX based on that, thats why I dont understand adders...

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
An adder is just another combinatorial circuit that can be realized with a selection of standard logic gates. Google "Half-Adder" and "Full-Adder". The difference has to do with handling the carry. This is your homework - attack it with relish! Do you really need a professor to lead you around by the ring?