16BIT BIN TO BCD 5 digits

Animate is basically too slow, especially if you would have bigger codes.
Use the Run button, but put break points on the right places.
You can put break points by double clicking the specific line in the code.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I also put a legend over the F keys.
Repeated stepping is handy with the Fkey
RUN F9
HALT F5
STEP INTO F7
STEP OVER F8
RESET F6

The MPLB Users Guide has a step by step for running and debugging also.
Max.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
AH WELL its only took ..50 posts to get it going!!!
And... You think that took 50 posts because people were not helping you properly? Because they were idiots and did not know what they were doing?

Or did it take 50 posts because you were argumentative and not following their advice?

Some of the best advice you completely ignored, like my post #14 about you should change to C. If you are not prepared to put in the effort to really understand the assembler (all the help that WBahn and others offered you) then just switch to C. You won't need to understand how it makes 5 decimal numbers out of a 2byte integer.

I respect that this is your thread, and you can ask whatever you want. BUT if you actually want to learn to be good at this, then you should LISTEN to the experts who take their time to help you in your thread. :)

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Wow. Frustration from every side.

First realize other people get frustrated too.

Next look at the Double Dabble algorithm.

Finally realize that if you want to play with Microchip PIC's then make sure you are aware of all of the resources they offer for working with their microprocessors. You never know when you will need something like APP NOTE 544 which includes explanations of 8 and 16 bit conversions to BCD. 16Bit will get you to 65k decimal so figure out how to extend to 17 bits if you need a full 99k of decimal.

Don't get frustrated. If there are no challenges, you aren't learning anything.