150W power supply design

Ethamin

Joined Jun 14, 2024
Hi !
I'd like to build a 150W stabilized variable power supply (0-30V 5A) like the ones you can find on the market.
But surprisingly I haven't really found a ready-made schematic, as if there was no consensus.

I've understood that there are 2 types of power supply,

linear with a large transformer that transforms 230V (I'm in France) into 30V with 150W then, after smoothing, into a LT1083-type regulator.

And switching power supplies.

The problem with linear is that the transformer is more expensive than a commercial power supply.

And I don't know much about switching yet, but I have the impression that it's more dangerous (in the sense that you're still using 220V).

Do you have any advice or diagrams?
Thank you

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Building that large a supply is not cheap, as you have found, so doesn't make much sense to try to do it from scratch.

A linear supply would have to dissipate up to near 150W internally when powering low voltage loads, so requires a large heat sink.

Line operated switching supplies have much higher efficiency but are more difficult to build.

Just buy a ready-made one.
Typical ones have both current and voltage adjustment with build-in meters.
Save the do-it-yourself electronic builds for the things you will power with the supply.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hi !
I'd like to build a 150W stabilized variable power supply (0-30V 5A) like the ones you can find on the market.
But surprisingly I haven't really found a ready-made schematic, as if there was no consensus.

I've understood that there are 2 types of power supply,

linear with a large transformer that transforms 230V (I'm in France) into 30V with 150W then, after smoothing, into a LT1083-type regulator.

And switching power supplies.

The problem with linear is that the transformer is more expensive than a commercial power supply.

And I don't know much about switching yet, but I have the impression that it's more dangerous (in the sense that you're still using 220V).

Thank you
Have you built a switched-mode supply before? If not, I wouldn't recommend starting with 150 Watt.
A bench power supply needs to take some abuse, so investing in a 150W transformer would be a good idea.
It will cost you about £40.
https://airlinktransformers.com/pro...toroidal-transformer-standard-range-cm0160222
Look at it this way. If you do manage to blow up the output, the transformer will survive to power another power supply.
If you blow up a switched-mode, you will probably have to replace the expensive parts.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

It's not worth the bother to build one. The last power supply I bought was around $45. 0-30V at 6A switching. If I cared about switching noise, I'd put a linear regulator on the output.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Bonjour.

Looking for advice? Here it is.
You want a 0-30V @ 5A PSU? Ask yourself what exactly are your requirements. What is the purpose of the power supply?
Why not start with simpler and more common requirements? Build different supplies to suit your current needs and learn design and construction techniques along the way.

Here is what I have and use most of the time for my hobby and professional use.

1) Simple linear 5VDC @ 1A PSU
2) Linear +15VDC and -15VDC @ 100mA for op amp experiments
3) I have many AC to DC wall adapters that I can use for different projects.
4) Linear 0-12VDC @ 1A for many testing and battery charging situations.

Postpone building that 0-30VDC @ 5A PSU until you gain more experience. In the meantime, keep a look out for a suitable transformer from equipment that has been thrown out. (Last evening I went dumpster diving and could not fit any more stuff in my boot.)

Ethamin

Joined Jun 14, 2024
Thanks for your answers

I'm going to learn more about switching because it sounds very interesting.

I bought the art of electronics by horowitz but if you have other sources, books, videos to learn this point, I'm interested.

Thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I just got myself a 30VDC, 10A power supply from Menard's for ~$20. It was a "flash sale" and not normally available but my point is, just buy one. Be patient, watch for a sale, then jump on it.

There are a number of threads online regarding the schematics of these cheap power supplies. My unit is the Taklife MC02 but I gather there are several brands of near-identical devices. Here's one thread - look for more,
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testg...-switching-lab-power-supply-(tacklife-mdc01)/

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is the intended application of that 10Amp 30 volt power supply? That is an unusual voltage and current rating is why I ask. Or is it for powering LED lighting?? OR is it an Adjustable Voltage power supply with a zero to ten amp current capability?. That is rather different. Does it have meters to indicate the output?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I think he is looking for an all purpose constant voltage, constant current PSU for general purpose experimentation and testing.
0-10A and 0-30VDC is a popular bench PSU. I think it will be cheaper to buy one than DIY building.