15 amp circuit breaker from an old treadmill question:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Building a kitchen island for the wife. It will roll out from under another cabinet. So the wife doesn't have to run extension cords all over the place I'm putting a 14 gauge extension that plugs into a 20 amp service outlet. However, the 14 gauge wire is going to be rated for 15 amps. Hence, I wonder if I can use that little circuit breaker as protection for the 14 gauge wire going to the island (which will have a duplex outlet [120 VAC]). It's not intended to be an ON / OFF switch, it's there for protection. Also wondering if the outlet is a GFCI, would that cause unforeseen issues.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong. So you want to install a 15 amp breaker on the island and plug the #14 cord into a 20 amp kitchen outlet which may be on the load side of a GFIC?
SG

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong.
The wall outlet is a standard 20 amp outlet (not GFCI). (actually the outlet itself is a 15 amp style outlet, but it's on a 12 gauge 20 amp service line)

From the wall outlet it is my intention to plug in a 14 gauge extension cord connected to a 15 amp circuit breaker.

From the breaker it gets connected to another duplex outlet. Whether I go with GFCI or standard outlet remains undecided. The reason for consideration is because the island CAN be moved within 3 feet of the kitchen sink. I think (not sure - not the expert on the electrical codes) 3 feet is the requirement for installing GFCI. Since the island CAN be moved that close, protecting anyone operating an appliance and possibly touching the sink at the same time - a GFCI may be appropriate. I just want to be sure it will provide proper protection. IF it will cause issues - I need to consider that possibility as well.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Why not use the final outlet that is a GFCI version?
Forget the TM O/L.
Kitchen outlets are now fed from GFCI, there is no mention of distance requirement.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Forget the TM O/L.
The thinking here is that the wife may plug in two appliances that together draw more than 15 amps but not necessarily exceed 20 amps. The 14 gauge wire won't handle the extra current. So if I have a 15 amp breaker on the island she can't harm the cord.

As for the GFCI, I just want to be sure I'm not defeating its purpose and giving a false sense of security. The outlets ARE properly grounded, I've made SURE of that. This old house is rife with 12/2 wiring with no ground - OR there's a very thin tin wire that runs from box to box that goes back to some mystery location where it's supposedly grounded. Whenever I do any work on any outlet I make sure it's properly grounded. Since I have PEX plumbing I can't ground to a pipe. So I've grounded to a bus bar that is grounded to the power mast, which is also grounded via an 8 foot grounding rod.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Also, if I go with a 12 gauge extension then the wire is going to be very heavy and rather unsightly. She probably wouldn't like that.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Key fact "this old house". Then the 20 amp outlet you want to plug the cord into is probably not GFIC protected.
If that's the case I would use a 15 amp GFIC on the island with a 15 amp breaker.
SG

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
probably not GFIC protected.
Definitely not! Very old breakers, on the order of $65 each when you have to replace one. It may be worth upgrading to modern breakers and a modern box, but that's a big expense with very little return on investment.

I have GFCI's brand new in boxes. I have two older GFCI's I need to replace because they fail the test button test. I also have a plug-in plug tester that has a GFCI test button on it and THAT also doesn't trip the GFCI. So they need to be replaced. And they will be.

So back to the original question: Will this tread mill 15 amp breaker work or should I go buy a real circuit breaker and manufacture a way of installing it?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Yes @MaxHeadRoom the snap in kind.

Actually that's good to know. I can manufacture a plate and mount all that stuff to it and build it into the island.

Thanks. That's the answer I needed answered.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I'd have to look. It's outside in the garage. Easy enough to get to, but I plan on being out there a little later today building these cabinets.

Thanks again.