14W Amplifier

ElectroNewbie

Joined Feb 23, 2011
I'm making an 14W amplifier, I've etched my circuit up and now I'm a little confused on how to place everything in my project box. I've attached the circuit and components I have. I'm not sure if I bought the right things or not if someone can tell me if its the right stuff.

Thank you!

Attachments

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
I presume you are using the 4mm binding posts for supply with a slide switch as an on/off switch and a fuse in series with your positive supply for added safety? Your speaker connector looks fine but what is the knob for? Are you fitting the 22k volume pot shown dotted? You have a double phono connector, is this for the input because you'll just need one for this project.

Make sure you have mounting holes in your printed circuit board and go for it. If this is your first project then it's trail and error really when putting things together but you'll find it gets far easier with experience.

ElectroNewbie

Joined Feb 23, 2011
Yes, I'll be adding the switch and fuse in series for the added safety. I incorporated the 22k into my board already. The 4mm binding posts meaning the banana jacks? For the input will I have to switch it out for an single connector? I'm not sure how to connect the switch since there's 3 connections on the back.
This is my first project so I'm taking extra precaution before I start soldering things together.
Thank you though!

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Attach with screw, but the tab of the IC is the most negative potential in the circuit (ground in your design). Make sure the heatsink does not short out to anything at another potential. The type you need depends on how much power dissipation. Operating at higher power requires a large heatsink, but music or audio typically is a lower average power.

Yako

Joined Nov 24, 2011
The power supply is simple and is shown on the datasheet for the TDA2030A (maybe the TDA2030 without the "A" is not made anymore).
If you want something a bit more elaborate, which will attribute to performance gains of the amp; since it only requires 1 amp of current, then a linear voltage regulator with a series pass transistor could be used.

It will sound better.

Yako

Joined Nov 24, 2011
If you like lots of BOOM, BOOM bass type music as I do at high volume, then a regulated supply is the go, because these really low frequencies draw the most surges from the supply. Also enure for plenty of de-coupling around the circuit with large capacitors on the rectifier side. Watchout for earth loops in the circuit which WILL induce pickup noise. Sounds terrible.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The power supply for an audio power amp does not require to be voltage regulated. The quality of the sound will actually improve (like tube amps) with an unregulated power supply. (I play bass with a 200W amp).

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Do you agree that technically you will get better results with a regulated supply?
No.
If the power supply can power the amplifier continuously at full power at the lowest frequency you play then an unregulated power supply is fine.

The amplifier will be able to produce slightly more power for peaks with an unregulated power supply but usually the amplifier is not played at "full blast" so you will not notice.

Most amplifiers reject hum from an unregulated supply so regulation is not needed.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
No need to have regulated rails for the pre-amp too?
Some do, some don't.

This amp is class AB right?
Correct.
If it is class-A then it will get too hot all the time even when it is not playing.
If it is class-B then it will have horrible crossover distortion.
If it is class-C then it will have horrible distortion.
If it is class-D then it would be new, cool and probably be in a surface-mount tiny case.