OK, to more directly address this...I don't think a 7812 will work but a 317, which has a 1.2V drop-out, might. 12V in, 10.8V out. I think there is a good chance that the camera will work on 10.8V.
While the circuit is a novel idea and may in fact be viable, I have not had time to so much as simulate it, our OP is not as experienced as we are, and is completely out of time.Back of an envelope moment. The attached circuit should also work. The output will pretty much track the input but will not exceed around 11.8V.
Good idea. That increases the max ripple by about 30%, but it's still under 20mV.I made a slight amendment, which is to put a 10k resistor in series with the base of Q2. It doesn't need it for the circuit to work but would protect Q2 against current being fed back into the regulator from a reactive load.
That's the problem I'm facing at the moment - the TIP42G/MJE34 that Radio Shack carries has no hFE specifications listed. "real" TIP42's have an hFE of between 15 and 75, according to Motorola (TIP41A/D datasheet)Q3 could be just about any PNP power transistor with an hFE of around 100 or more.
Well, it's really not bad at all as it is. However, the simulation of the Zener is quite suspect; normally for a 1W Zener you'd need to get around 20mA through it in order to enter the linear regulation region. As the circuit is now, Zener current is 60uA; far below what's necessary. If I measured a real 1N4742 12v Zener, I'm sure the readings would be quite different.I haven't thought much about optimising the circuit performance in terms of regulation as the camera will have its own regulators.