12volt conversion on Vespa VBC-1, lights.

Vespa_Gabriel

Joined Dec 5, 2007
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my vespa scooter 1966 to a 12v stator plate/flywheel assembly (no battery).
My rear stop light (single filament) is now permanently on and my tail light (also SF) is never on.

There are 2 wires on rear lights unit (yellow and blue) and a black wire (earth...?). I tried every combo possible but problem persists. Any suggestions? Brake light switch worked fine before conversion!

diagram here:

http://www.wasps.it/wiring/VBC1Tw.gif

Super thanks to everyone,

gabriel

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Let's see... it WAS working before you messed with it.

Then you messed with it. :eek:

Now it's not working. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming you replaced all the 6V lamps with 12v equivalents. Are you sure you have the bulbs installed correctly? Yes, it IS possible to install bayonet-base lamps incorrectly if you try hard enough. Check the sockets for damage/corrosion/rusted-out tension springs.

Go back and double-check your work on the stator plate/flywheel assembly. I suspect that you either fouled something up, or the new stator plate is no good or the wrong one for your model.

If you don't find any mistakes from your installation job and the new lamps/sockets are all OK, try reverting back to the 6v stator/flywheel and bulbs.

Vespa_Gabriel

Joined Dec 5, 2007
Cheers,

Well, back bulbs are 24v actually since when i revved up 12v bulbs popped. What about a black wire, is that the ground wire? Where do i clip that on?

You are right, i messed, now it doesn't work, but before i messed, lights were only thing working, the bloody thing was hard to turn on! 12v has to stay...

Gab

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ok, if your 12v bulbs popped, your regulator is possibly fried, or you have a short to ground somewhere that's causing your generator to try to compensate by producing LOTS of current (and high voltage!) This happened to me with a car a long time ago; my 1965 Mustang's positive battery lead got worn all the way through, and was shorting against one of the shock absorber towers. When this happened while I was driving, my headlights came on SUPER-BRIGHT, and very shortly afterwards burned out!

Did you replace the wiring harness? Seems like there are a few things that changed, or need changing. Look here:
http://scootrs.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1465

The page that the above page was referenced from:
http://scootrs.com/category.cfm?category=106

With a scooter THAT old, if the harness hasn't been replaced in over 15 years - it NEEDS replacing!!! Trust me on this!

Thankfully, the above harness comes with a wiring diagram - in ENGLISH! :D

Vespa_Gabriel

Joined Dec 5, 2007
Yes, wiring and harness are brand new and 12v ought to be fine on existing wiring. Rugulator? Ok, i'll find out where that is. uhm...funny how a brake light can be so annoying!

Cheers mate, I'll have a go...

Gab

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
Your wiring diagram is not very clear to me. I found this one which may or may not be alike but which may give you an idea. It may be worth your while to deduce the exact wiring diagram of your Vespa. It takes a while but then you know exactly what you have.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hey GS3 - that's a nice schematic, but I don't know if it's relevant to Vespa_Gabriels' situation.

I'm no stranger to motorcycles, but I'm afraid that I don't know much about Vespas; and using an incorrect schematic could lead to problems (at least, depending upon color codes). Gabriel has some sorting out to do, that's for certain.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
That's why I say that his best bet is to deduce the exact schematic of his installation and understand how it works but sometimes similar schematics are helpful in understanding concepts even though colors and other things may change. You may find something you do not quite undertand and a similar schematic might help.