12v dc 1000ma vs 2000ma power adaptor

Marka1977

Joined Nov 24, 2018
Hi. I have a cctv system with 4 cameras. A switching adaptor input 100 240 50/60 hz
output 12v 1000ma powers the 4 cameras through a 1 to 4 splitter cable reads 13.1v at the adaptor side.
The cctv unit has the same 2nd adaptor but has 2000ma instead. it reads 12.5v output (multimeter dc)
The problem is the cameras using the 1000ma adaptor has no inferred at night. But if I start to unplug 1 camera at a time from the splitter, the inferred returns gradually with every camera I unplug.
Again this adaptor via a multimeter is outputting 13.1 v. Is the adapter knackered or is it OK?
The splitter is OK as I bought another and its the same.

Can I swap around the adapters to test is the 1000ma 1 is no good. Will the 2000ma damage the camers or will the 1000ma not be good enough to power the ccvt unit.

Why would unplugging a camera from the splitter start to light up the inferred bulbs in the other cameras. And why is it gradual until 1 camera is left plugged in. (Doesn't matter what order I remove or which camera I remove from the splitter first.

Attachments

Marka1977

Joined Nov 24, 2018
I don't know. It don't have the specs.
Is 13.1v to high for a 12v adaptor then?

The only thing to add is that I had an electrician down a few weeks ago and he was checking the electrics in the house. Sending currents to test the fuses. I forgot about the camera system as I had unplugged the TV etc.

My system is a swann dvr4 4550 4 channel.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Four cameras each requiring 1000mA total 4000mA.
If you are attempting to power all devices from a single adapter then you have to make sure that the adapter can supply 4A @ 12V-13.5V,

Higher current ratings will not damage your device.

Marka1977

Joined Nov 24, 2018
Four cameras each requiring 1000mA total 4000mA.
If you are attempting to power all devices from a single adapter then you have to make sure that the adapter can supply 4A @ 12V-13.5V,

Higher current ratings will not damage your device.
The adaptor is the original that came with my 4 channel full system. Its all worked fine for over 2 years until lately. The set up is as swann made it including the splitter.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Are you measuring 13.1 with or without a load on the adapter?

One camera may pull the voltage down to 12 but more than one pulls the voltage down too much to properly drive the IR.

The adapter is rated 12 volts @ 1 amp, so drawing more than 1 amp may be too much.

Marka1977

Joined Nov 24, 2018
Are you measuring 13.1 with or without a load on the adapter?

One camera may pull the voltage down to 12 but more than one pulls the voltage down too much to properly drive the IR.

The adapter is rated 12 volts @ 1 amp, so drawing more than 1 amp may be too much.
I am taking the reading with no load.
No load on the 1000ma is 13.1.
No load on the 2000ma is 12.5v
The ir worked before with all 4 plugged in perfectly for 2 years. Now it does work on any until I start unplugging cameras. Then it's like a dimmer switch. Every camera I remove the dimmer seems to turn up a notch each time. 1 camera = full power. 4 cameras = no power.
3 cameras = 25% power. You get the idea. Cameras work fine. Just at night the ir is at fault.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I suggest measuring the voltages from the adapter with 1, 2, 3 and 4 cameras connected. It could be a capacitor in the power supply ageing and going low in value or high ESR. Are the adapters switch mode or old mains frequency transformer types ?

Les.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
My system has a 2A supply for the DVR and each camera has its own 1A supply. I have no problems with IR light.

You ask if you could swap the supplies: Probably not. Likely the DVR requires more than 1A (1000mA). As for them having worked all this time for the past two years and suddenly, with no changes, it's not driving the IR LED's then I'd say the 1A supply is not strong enough and may be failing.

Personally, I'm finding it hard to believe one supply can power four cameras. Off hand I don't know how much my cameras draw, but each of mine has its own 1A power supply. Last year I tried powering all the cameras from a single supply, one that had sufficient amperage for the full set of cameras and got mixed results. Powering all the cameras off one supply left me with lines on the screen. Still could see the image clear enough, but the lines would not go away. Even with a BIGGER supply, the lines were always there. I called the company and they said the cameras all need to be on their own supplies. So from experience I'm finding it a little difficult believing your cameras worked fine before. But if you say so - - - .

Marka1977

Joined Nov 24, 2018
My system has a 2A supply for the DVR and each camera has its own 1A supply. I have no problems with IR light.

You ask if you could swap the supplies: Probably not. Likely the DVR requires more than 1A (1000mA). As for them having worked all this time for the past two years and suddenly, with no changes, it's not driving the IR LED's then I'd say the 1A supply is not strong enough and may be failing.

Personally, I'm finding it hard to believe one supply can power four cameras. Off hand I don't know how much my cameras draw, but each of mine has its own 1A power supply. Last year I tried powering all the cameras from a single supply, one that had sufficient amperage for the full set of cameras and got mixed results. Powering all the cameras off one supply left me with lines on the screen. Still could see the image clear enough, but the lines would not go away. Even with a BIGGER supply, the lines were always there. I called the company and they said the cameras all need to be on their own supplies. So from experience I'm finding it a little difficult believing your cameras worked fine before. But if you say so - - - .
I had a swan 720p before this 1 and that too had 4 cameras off the 1 to 4 splitter.
My friend also has a swan 4 channel that is also using a 1 to 4 splitter. Seems to be the way they are set up.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I had a swan 720p before this 1 and that too had 4 cameras off the 1 to 4 splitter.
My friend also has a swan 4 channel that is also using a 1 to 4 splitter. Seems to be the way they are set up.
Very interesting. A camera that operates WITH IR LED's, each drawing 250mA (0.25A). But then again, you say yours is 720p, mine is 4KHD. Maybe mine DO draw more than yours.

Marka1977

Joined Nov 24, 2018
Just swapped adaptors and the ir is fully working. Swapped back and it's off again. So I think I need a new adaptor

Marka1977

Joined Nov 24, 2018
I'm really struggling to find a 1a plus

Everywhere seems to do a 2a one but not a 1a reputable one.
Can I use a 2a as long as its 12v dc and all the inputs match?