12v Actuator control

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
This is for anyone out there that can help. I am at the end of my rope>>>>
The following narrative is an issue that I have been dealing with for over 1 year. I will attempt to explain. I sent memo to Gama Electronics due to the fact that I have their RF021-901C on my custom 34 Ford show car and have used this switch for 3 years to operate (1) interior light, (2) removable top that uses 2 12v actuators to lift it from an angle thus allowing entry to the car, (3) 4 actuators to raise the hood perpendicular for engine access. The Gama switch has a reverse polarity function and activates momentarily as long as I hold the remote button down. An interior light comes on and is wired with the top when I raise the top by holding "up" button down and the hood functions the same. So I have 2 actuators going to one multi- switch function for the top and 4 actuators going to the same multi-switch for the hood. Both top and hood must be stopped from rising at a specific point for proper alignment during the lowering function. l cannot get the switch to change to the latching function although the switch is supposed to have a latching program but it does not work and Gama simply cannot help me. I have investigated many companies and their electronic products and invested several hundred dollars trying to come up with an equitable solution all to no avail By the way all 6 actuators are void of internal adjustable limit switches and if they were the location in the location that they are mounted will not let me to dissemble without much work. I don’t want to use limit switches anyway. I want to use a single multi-button remote to hit either button or both (top or hood) and raise either without having to hold down the button. I also must have a function added to or in the switch or separate from actuators to limit the travel in the up mode. In summary I need a remote controlled multi-channel switch that has a latching mode, a reverse polarity mode, and a single remote to control the switch. The down mode can function normally to close all actuators. I would greatly appreciate your assistance in solving this issue or direct me to

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...the switch is supposed to have a latching program but it does not work and Gama simply cannot help me.
Let's take a look at that. Can you link to the switch? What has Gama said?

If the switch latches, how do you plan to end the opening or closing process?

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
opening and closing the actuators is a function of the remote buttons. This particular control automatically changes polarity by using the down button on the remote. For example button 1 up raises the top actuators and is controlled by the length of time I hold down the button. same actuator lowers to the limit switch inside of the actuator to the this point as long as I hold down the opposite button. Other issues is that this switch will not latch thus causing me to hold down remote button. I want a latching function and a stop upward position without manual limit switches.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I want a latching function and a stop upward position without manual limit switches.
Which begs the question, why? The top uses a limit switch to stop the low position, so why the refusal to have one for up? Having to hold the button is taking the place of a limit switch. Having a latching button and no upper limit switch would mean one of two things will happen, something in the mechanism will break or a fuse will blow due to over loading of the actuator motor. Limit switches in a mechanical operation prevent either one of those things from happening.

What type or brand of actuator are you using? What kind of "hinge" is used with the top? The upper limit could actually be added to the hinge so it wouldn't be seen. I am a car guy, a hobby builder, so I understand what your doing, but don't understand why you don't want to use a limit switch. some of them are only less than an inch in size, so they are easy to hide.

Last edited:

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
I am sure a manual limiting switch will work for me, but I just don't want to use them. They are a bit flimsily and usually end up being in the way of something either permanent or moving. Chrome hinges are mounted on outside of car so I would have to mount them inside ?????
Heavy Duty Linear Actuator 200 Pound Max Lift 20" 20 Inch Stroke Dc 12V 12 Volt. Don't know manufacturer.