12 volt battery terminology help please?

Aurion45

Joined Aug 7, 2011
Can someone explain the "Battery" off terminal 2 and R5, compared to the "Load".
As I'm confused what the 'Battery" for, as I thought the load is where I put my Gel battery to charge up?

cornishlad

Joined Jul 31, 2013
The circuit shown is a power supply for the "load" and a charger for the battery.
It will power the load from 13.8v in that particular case and the battery will float
unless the input power is removed (power cut maybe) when the battery will take over at a slightly reduced voltage.
If the load is removed (turned off) the battery will be intelligently charged and finish up on float charge when it's full.
So the writer says that it can be left permanently connected to the battery.

Aurion45

Joined Aug 7, 2011
Can I use this without the "Load" as I only want to charge a Gel SLA Battery and leave on until required.
Do I remove the 10uf C3 Capacitor and "Load" wiring?
Any help would be greatly appreicated

Aurion45

Joined Aug 7, 2011
As all I want is to make it a "battery charger" and not a battery backup to an amateur transceiver, or there a better circuit to charge a GEL battery connected indefinitely?

jwd217

Joined Jun 19, 2012
To use this circuit as a battery charger only, just skip the "load" part but leave C3 in the circuit. The current charging the battery must go through R5 for the circuit to sense the rate of charge so be sure it is connect so that happens.

Aurion45

Joined Aug 7, 2011
Here my pcb layout, I used Pad2pad, this is my first pcb board.
C7 suppose to be the MAx712CPE
D1 need to be reserve, I need to alter it and add a link, as I'm only using single layer board.
If anyone want the file I can email it to you.

Attachments