110 Fan wiring question

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I picked up a discarded fan, and the wire thief (or perhaps the previous owner) had snipped the wire.

I am re-wiring it, and I realized I don't know if the hot wire goes to the switch, or to the motor.

Any help appreciated.

I do know that the narrow blade is the hot one, and the wide blade is the common.

Thanks,
Gary

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I picked up a discarded fan, and the wire thief (or perhaps the previous owner) had snipped the wire.

I am re-wiring it, and I realized I don't know if the hot wire goes to the switch, or to the motor.

Any help appreciated.

I do know that the narrow blade is the hot one, and the wide blade is the common.

Thanks,
Gary
If you are merely replacing the power cord, compliant wiring will connect line (i.e. "hot") to the switch...

Best regards
HP:)

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Hot to the switch, I'll write that down.

I frequently pick up such things just to have something to work on.
It was NASTY (just spent a few minutes washing off the plastic parts with the garden hose).

I did wire it briefly with a rig I made for doing such things, and the fan motor works great.

I'll get that hot wire to the switch, and reassemble, and it should be good to go.

It cleaned up real good (a nice white plastic body).

The motor ran quietly when I tested it.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I enjoy reading your posts and reply's.
You make the English language seem almost civil.

Thanks again.
Gary

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
What an interesting read, this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia
Are you sure you wnat to be known as her Protege?

Anyway, thanks for the responses.
Thanks for your interest!:)

I'm not certain I get your point? --- If you are referencing her brutal death, well, sadly, that was (and, at times, continues to be) the "penalty" for courage of one's convictions - and, indeed, daring to think 'against the mainstream':( --- While not a devotee of any particular religion (including Neoplatonism) I, nonetheless, regard Hypatia of Alexandria as a divine entity - a role model for all humanity -- A stance, ironically, 'at odds with' the teachings of the lady herself...

But to respond directly to your question: Yes! I am in every way Hypatia's Protege and beneficiary! -- Although, as per her teaching, I resist (often with great difficulty) holding her in martyrdom or adoration...

Very best regards

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
You are an interesting person and quite unique.
I enjoy your prose and poetry, and I wish you well.
Thank you for being one who holds to the courgage of your convictions.

As a Christian myself, I was appauled to learn that she died at the hands of 'so called' Christians.
Enough said.

As a Christian myself, I was appauled to learn that she died at the hands of 'so called' Christians.
No worries there! -- I do not - and would never - judge an entire faith based upon the actions of a few rogues...

Best regards - and many thanks for your kind words!

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If you are merely replacing the power cord, compliant wiring will connect line (i.e. "hot") to the switch...

Best regards
@MaxHeadRoom and HP

Is there any rule that says residential wiring must be switched on the "hot" (Line) side vs. the Neutral side?

Is this preferred / mandated?
HOT------- switch ------- load ------ Neutral

vs. This?
HOT ------- load -------- switch ------ Neutral

If yes, any reason?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
@GopherT

You switch on the HOT so that if you decide to touch the mains wires going to the device (such as a bulb), you would only be able to touch a neutral wire. Since the neutral and ground are at the same potential there is no shock. If the switch is on the neutral side and you touch the device (with the switch off), then there is a path from HOT to ground through you.

While I do not know about regulations in house wires I would imagine that it is a requirement to do so (just like CE and FCC)

@MaxHeadRoom and HP

Is there any rule that says residential wiring must be switched on the "hot" (Line) side vs. the Neutral side?

Is this preferred / mandated?
HOT------- switch ------- load ------ Neutral

vs. This?
HOT ------- load -------- switch ------ Neutral

If yes, any reason?
FWIW: I believe the rationale lies in the fact that interruption of 'hot' precludes 'off state' current flow in the event of a ground fault in the load... Moreover it (theoretically) enhances safety during 're-lamping', etc...

Best regards

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It is a requirement of NEC and CEC, Just as you do not place a fuse or disconnect in the grounded neutral side, not even L&N together.
If you have the load disconnected from the live side of the supply then it renders the device safe.
Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@GopherT

You switch on the HOT so that if you decide to touch the mains wires going to the device (such as a bulb), you would only be able to touch a neutral wire. Since the neutral and ground are at the same potential there is no shock. If the switch is on the neutral side and you touch the device (with the switch off), then there is a path from HOT to ground through you.

While I do not know about regulations in house wires I would imagine that it is a requirement to do so (just like CE and FCC)
I thought there might be a second argument that any damage or water on the switch would mean you get the full load from the mains. If switched on the low side, then you touch a wet switch and you are at least in series with the load. Is it a requirement of the National Electric Code in the US - just wondering.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
@GopherT
Any switch connected to the mains must have a modest amount of insulation between you and the electrical connection. But if your hands are wet (or the switch), and you touch it (which in itself is just plain stupid), then in either scenario you would be in parallel with the ground and live. I cant see any scenario where you would be in series with anything unless you put your finger on one side of the switch and then the other.

Overall, switch on the live side = much safer.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Plus you want to be in parallel to the mains so that the RCD trips.
Any current flowing through a device will not trigger an RCD. Any current through you and ground will.