10A adjustable voltage regulator

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
This changes things a good bit.

The biggest consideration is:
I don't know that the pump you bought will stand up to the temperatures you'll be seeing under the hood. 90°F under the hood will be reached long before the engine is up to normal operating temp range of 190°F-210°F.

I'm afraid that your pump will melt when it's most needed, and that the failure of the pump will create a breach of your cooling system, resulting in very expensive repairs.

I think that you need a better pump. Get one that's rated for operating up to at least 230°F. Then let's talk again.

Projectxaccord

Joined Mar 5, 2008
this pump system in completey separate from the engine. The intercooling system is has is own separate water supply, its own water lines and its own separate heat exchanger mounted on the front of the car behind the bumper. the highest temperatures the water will get is less them 100 degrees F. the pump is also mount in a location that does not see temperatures above ambient temperatures. The water is just removing heat from the air, after the turbo compresses it. without this system in place, because my motor is high compression it will detonate.

My only problem as lowering the amount of voltage to the pump. I have tested the pump on a separate power supply and it does a great. thanks for the help guys

Projectxaccord

Joined Mar 5, 2008
hey guys,

i finally got this circuit all soldered together but ran into a problem. when ever i ran power and ground to it to test it, it burned up one of the traces on my project circuit board. any suggestions?

I am not sure if i got the legs on the tip142 right, to be honest i dont understand the data sheet schematic about the legs.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yikes, that's not good!

Ok, if you have the TIP142 oriented so that you can read the lettering on the front of the case, pins down:
The leftmost pin is #1, it is the base.
The middle pin is #2, it is the collector.
The rightmost pin is #3, it is the emitter.
The tab on the top is #4, it is also connected to the collector (pin 2).

How wide were your traces? They would have to be pretty wide to carry 5 Amperes. Don't forget, there is quite a surge of current when first starting the pump; it nearly looks like a dead short.