1000V + Panel Mount Volt Meter

Shaneyj

Joined Jul 4, 2017
Hello All. I am building a Lichtenstein (did I spell that correctly?) machine.
I have harvested a transformer from an old microwave and experimented with it. It is really cool!
I would like to vary the voltage of the output.
Because I don't have a meter that will measure above 600V, I am not sure what the output of the trans. is. I was going to backfeed it to determine.
But I digress.
I am planning on using a dimmer on the 120V input to vary the output.
I would like to display the voltage and current values.
Finding a current display module was simple enough, but I have not been able to find a voltage display that goes over 600 volts.
Any thoughts or ideas?

olphart

Joined Sep 22, 2012
A> when doing volt dividers on high voltage, resistor volt ratings become important
B> DO NOT Think of using a conventional dimmer (phase chopping triac) on a transformer !!
The back EMF will cause a dI/dT retrigger, and once on At ALL, will go to full drive.
You'll have no control once turned on. (I stand correctable of causality, but net effect I've seen -- I tried it, a Long time ago).
C> most meters have fairly high input impedance, so dendad's idea is valid, but you won't need much.
D> I'd look around for a variac rotary adjustable output transformer as input feed.

Shaneyj

Joined Jul 4, 2017
Thanks Ken. I read
Shaneyj,

I've done a little of that. The higher the voltage, the better it works. I use a 15KVAC neon sign transformer. I don't think there is any need to reduce your transformer's output. You might even want to use two transformers, with primaries in parallel and secondaries in series to double it. If you haven't done it yet, Google "Lichtenberg" and see what techniques others have used for effectiveness...and SAFETY.

And word of warning, this is very dangerous. These voltages and currents are lethal:
https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/death-prompts-ban-fractal-burning

Ken
Thanks Ken. I read about the neon sign transformer and picked one up for about $40. It is 15kv, but I haven't used it yet.
I was interested in using different voltages to see what effects, if any, are seen by the variance.
Thanks for the word of warning.

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Why not to use a voltage divider, i.e 1/10 so you can measure 60 Volts instead of 600. Again the resistors need to be selected according to their voltage rating

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""Lichtenberg machine?"" Good that not a Frankenshtein machine :)
Any voltage may be measured using the resitor voltage divider, only normal resistor rarely may be loaded with more than 350 V except 2W what 750 V, thus You mustmake a serial string of them