1 or 2 phase universal switching power supply

ptbutcher

Joined Aug 27, 2017
I recently bought some surplus industrial LED light fixtures. Input rating is 120-277 VAC. The input has two hot (black) and one neutral (white) wires plus safety ground attached to chassis. If wiring for 120VAC input, my guess is that I would attach both hot wires to my line voltage, but not positive. Anybody have experience with this type of 1 or 2 phase supply? Manufacturer spec sheet has no wiring information :-(

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If in N.A. that is not one or two phase, it is single phase with centre tap 0v reference.
If the appliance is rated for 120-277 and you want to run on 120v then I would assume that you would connect both loads in parallel?
You would need more info on the load or obtain information on it by inspection.
A SMPS style power supply usually has a jumper or slide switch to select the different voltage.
There are others that automatically recognize the input.
Max.

ptbutcher

Joined Aug 27, 2017
Thanks Max. No switch or jumper as far as I can tell. After doing a bit more research on split-phase rectification circuits I'm going to agree that they two loads should be wired in parallel.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If you have their manufacture name model number the odds are they have a online schematic that shows how to hook them up for different input voltages.