1/8 watt resistors

hants2

Joined May 9, 2015
I recently ordered some resistors. I messed up and ordered 1/8 watt instead of 1/4 watt.I reorder the 1/4 watts i needed, it isn't worth the bother to return the 1/8. are there many instances I will ever need a 1/8 watt in the real world. the lab at school has mostly 1/2 and some 1/4. just curious. I will keep them around anyhow. thanks in advance

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just did a Thread today (100 LEDs on 12 volts) where the answer was 1/8th watt at 120 ohms.
That coincidence suggests that there is a fair percentage of circuits where 1/8 watt resistors are useful.

hants2

Joined May 9, 2015
thanks for the info, I have future project with leds, what was the thread? they didn't break the bank, just wondered if I had a pile of dust collectors

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There's a reason that they are sold in large quantities.

In most electronic circuits, unless the point of some part of the circuit is specifically to handle power, most resistors would be dissipating well under 1/8 W. This can be seen as reasonable from a few perspectives. If all of your resistors are dissipating more than 1/8 W, then just a handful of resistors means your circuit is dissipating several watts. That's actually a far amount of heat to get rid of. Second, consider the voltages involved. If you have a 1 kohm resistor, then that's 11 V across it. If it's a 10 kohm resistor, now you're talking 20 V.

I think you will find plenty of use for them.

hants2

Joined May 9, 2015
thanks, I found it. great info jump started my project( If I ever get time), I see you are near Tampa, I grew up on the north side. miss the big city when it comes to getting parts etc. thanks again