0-159 Counter please help!

Rizza Regalado

Joined May 13, 2017
I have a logic circuit project. And it needs to count 0-159 then reset after. I have a schematic diagram and I used 555 timer, 7493 and 4511 ICs but IT ONLY COUNTS 0-199 and I don't know how to make it just 159. Please help.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have a logic circuit project. And it needs to count 0-159 then reset after. I have a schematic diagram and I used 555 timer, 7493 and 4511 ICs but IT ONLY COUNTS 0-199 and I don't know how to make it just 159. Please help.
Is there a reason you are mixing 45xx logic and 74xx logic?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What logic gate should be used? can you help me?
If the MSD (most-significant digit) counter's output is 0010, the middle one is 1001, and the third one is 0110, what count value is this?

If this happened to be the value that you wanted to reset at, could you design a logic circuit that is HI for this one set of counter outputs and LO for all others?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
157 is 1001 1101 in binary.
158 is 1001 1110 in binary.
159 is 1001 1111 in binary.
160 is 1010 0000 in binary.

You can see that 1001 changed to 1010 when 159 changed to 160. So. When 1010 0000 are present, the circuit must reset. I would use an AND gate, that way 1 and 1 go in, 1 comes out and routed to reset pin or pins.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
can you show me a schematic for it? I cant picture it out sorry im slow
Can you show some kind of attempt? This is YOUR homework. You will not learn anything by having someone just show you what to do.

It may not seem like it, but I may be saving you a failing course grade right now. If shteii01 just handed you a schematic and for what he proposes and you use it, then it is going to be pretty obvious to your instructor that you just took part of the solution from one source and part of the solution from another source and have no understanding of how either of them work and thus they are in no way the result of YOUR efforts. The fact that you don't see the glaring incompatibility between the counter you have implemented and the suggestion he is making is strong evidence of this.

Make an effort and show an honest attempt. Then we can help guide you to a solution that YOU understand.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
157 is 1001 1101 in binary.
158 is 1001 1110 in binary.
159 is 1001 1111 in binary.
160 is 1010 0000 in binary.

You can see that 1001 changed to 1010 when 159 changed to 160. So. When 1010 0000 are present, the circuit must reset. I would use an AND gate, that way 1 and 1 go in, 1 comes out and routed to reset pin or pins.
Except that this won't work with the counter as he has them configured in the circuit he has in the original post.

In addition, it has the potential to glitch on a signal that is going to an asynchronous reset. Not a good approach. It is relying on the outcome of a critical race going just the way that you decide. Because of the fine print in the details of the implementation, there is a very good change that the desired path will win the race, but that usually isn't something to just assume without some careful consideration. It's also why ad hoc, asynchronous logic design should not be bandied about lightly.

Rizza Regalado

Joined May 13, 2017
Except that this won't work with the counter as he has them configured in the circuit he has in the original post.

In addition, it has the potential to glitch on a signal that is going to an asynchronous reset. Not a good approach. It is relying on the outcome of a critical race going just the way that you decide. Because of the fine print in the details of the implementation, there is a very good change that the desired path will win the race, but that usually isn't something to just assume without some careful consideration. It's also why ad hoc, asynchronous logic design should not be bandied about lightly.
I made a mistake by registering my gmail account as a way of logging in here.
Because I use my gmail to log in, it uses my real name here in AAC.
I have read some of related topics and there I learned you can't remove your own acct.
I can make a new acct. but I don't want to abandon this one because my name will still show up.
So I'm humbly asking to all the admins/mods if you could change my username or deactivate my acct like totally wiped
that my name won't show up.

Rizza Regalado

Joined May 13, 2017
I have read some of related topics and there I learned you can't remove your own acct.
I can make a new acct. but I don't want to abandon this one because my name will still show up.
So I'm humbly asking to all the admins/mods if you could change my username or deactivate my acct like totally wiped

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
An Admin can change your account name. What do you want it changed to? We won't delete your account or remove already posted content.

zijo

Joined May 20, 2017

It is not a binary but 3 digits hex, where each digit can be up to 10.

You need some Boolean Algebra, after shortcut you would come with result.
But in your case since you want only 160 I believe you can connect on top chip
lineD1 >> it is on when you have 1xx
middle chip
lines D2,D4 , they both will be on when you have digit 6x
Because you can not have 161 you shouldn't care for the bottom chip.
So make a reset with 3 inputs AND gate, or if you already have 2 input 2 gates you can make them as

D1*(D2*D4) which in your language means & gate d2 and 4d then output of that & with D1 from top chip.

If you need to see 160 then reset than (D1bottomchip *D1)*(D2*D4) need 3 and gates .
"*" is same as multiplication you will have output 1 only if all is 1
if you have 1x1x1x0 then output is 0.