micro controller construction

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
hello again I am student and studying vlsi design and embedded system . i want design microcontroller with verilog programming and then want to use microcontroller in embedded system I have some knowledge about digital circuit verilog programming I have worked on FPGA with quartus software

my question is it possible that any company can be make single chip for my project just simple first I want to make chip then I want to use this chip in embedded system

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Do you want to program a FPGA to behave as a some microcontoller out on the market?
no, suppose I have veriolog code for microcontroller on software then I want to implement real hardware but I can't make real hardware(because of fabrication process) so I need company that make chip.is it possible?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
no, suppose I have veriolog code for microcontroller on software then I want to implement real hardware but I can't make real hardware(because of fabrication process) so I need company that make chip.is it possible?
Yes but I heard the minimum charge was about $400k for custom chips if you want custom chips for the ground up.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
sorry for late responce is it possible that fpga chip can behave like microcontroller first i want to make controller then i want to use this controller in embedded system please give me some idea

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It makes no sense to create a microcontroller when there are thousands available off the shelf at very low prices already.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
thanks for important information but I need more I want to make 8 bit controller i know controller make with cpu and memory and other device but my problem is that i am not deciding how many bit are requried to make cpu . cpu make with airthmatic logical unit and controll unit but here is same problem don't know how many bit are requried to make alu so plesae anyone suggest me how to arreange bit for controller to make cpu, alu, decoder and counter as my theory knowledge I now about cpu alu decoder and other but here I am not deciding how to arrange bit for controller please give me idea ..... thanks

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
thanks for important information but I need more I want to make 8 bit controller i know controller make with cpu and memory and other device but my problem is that i am not deciding how many bit are requried to make cpu . cpu make with airthmatic logical unit and controll unit but here is same problem don't know how many bit are requried to make alu so plesae anyone suggest me how to arreange bit for controller to make cpu, alu, decoder and counter as my theory knowledge I now about cpu alu decoder and other but here I am not deciding how to arrange bit for controller please give me idea ..... thanks
that i am not deciding how many bit are requried
don't know how many bit are requried
how to arreange bit for controller to make cpu
I am not deciding how to arrange bit for controller

requried
airthmatic
plesae
arreange

OK here is solaution:

3 bitt.

One bit which has seen.
One bit which hasn't see.
And one anutha which isn't arrange at all.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The term you need to research is "soft core(s)." A "core" is the processor, "soft" in the process of creating one inside an FPGA.

Opencores has examples of such work for a free download. One could get a development platform holding an FPGA and the support circuitry for a few hundred dollars (or less), compile the source code and make your own.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The term you need to research is "soft core(s)." A "core" is the processor, "soft" in the process of creating one inside an FPGA.

Opencores has examples of such work for a free download. One could get a development platform holding an FPGA and the support circuitry for a few hundred dollars (or less), compile the source code and make your own.
The software to compile for FPGA and to program via JTAG is not available for free download. At least, you have to register, and often, also to obtain a license number.

it is GBytes of download. I found it very complex as such, so the CPLD board i bought is just gathering dust I do not really need to use it.