Garage Door opener

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
This is something I fixed 6 months back

Contactors fried due to water. I had to make some annoying changes due to unavailability of the type used.
Below is what I am talking about.

It again fried due to rain. This type it caught fire somewhere beneath the PCB.

The small relays are used for the small contacts that were in the big ones used before.

I really can't tell how I manage to wire the whole thing. I surprised my self that it worked without creating a short circuit :D.

I reckon that I can do it now if I took it apart, tht's why I took pictures this time.

But still I will redraw the whole thing if I am going to take it apart.
This time I need to make it small and compact.
Is it possible.

I can buy 20A SSR and 40A ones. And 10A contact rated relay's with a set of 4 contact making it a 40A if I parallel them.

But buying contactors is not possible for they are not available for the time being.

I like to drive it low voltage using a PIC to change over the windings.

The motor is a reversible one with the wires show below.

The limit's are attached to the motor separately.

The contactors are switched through a separate remote unit.
I will show it the next post.

for now I like to know is it possible to make the damn thing much smaller so I can put it into a weather proof box.

Last edited:

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
Well, no one has answered for a while, so I'll start out with:

1. Looks like a Smartech 220V-240V motor, but I can't find much on it on the web.
__Do you have any further information?

2. Is the circuit board still working?

3. Have you thought about solid state relays? They would bring the size down significantly, you could do all the wiring to a small waterproof box.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
what's complicated about it that it needs a PIC?
for reversing the windings with SSRs, it will be more trouble than it's worth I think, because SSRs are ON/OFF and what you need is like relay contacts that switch between A/B. If you wanted to do it with SSRs, you would need a lot more SSRs than if you did it with relays and it would get a lot more complicated. I would just get some contactors (not those dinky 14pin ice cube relays), and put them in a weatherproof enclosure.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Well, no one has answered for a while, so I'll start out with:

1. Looks like a Smartech 220V-240V motor, but I can't find much on it on the web.
__Do you have any further information?

2. Is the circuit board still working?

3. Have you thought about solid state relays? They would bring the size down significantly, you could do all the wiring to a small waterproof box.
Dejavu ?:confused:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
what's complicated about it that it needs a PIC?
for reversing the windings with SSRs, it will be more trouble than it's worth I think, because SSRs are ON/OFF and what you need is like relay contacts that switch between A/B. If you wanted to do it with SSRs, you would need a lot more SSRs than if you did it with relays and it would get a lot more complicated. I would just get some contactors (not those dinky 14pin ice cube relays), and put them in a weatherproof enclosure.
I thought of the same thing.

I do not need SSR's to do the job or those big heavy duty contactors to switch a 2.2A current.

A PIC with a couple of 10A (contact) rated relays will suffice, don't you think strantor.

I can buy 24VDC coil with 4 sets of 10A mains rated relays.
This should pretty simple I think...:D

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I thought of the same thing.

I do not need SSR's to do the job or those big heavy duty contactors to switch a 2.2A current.

A PIC with a couple of 10A (contact) rated relays will suffice, don't you think strantor.

I can buy 24VDC coil with 4 sets of 10A mains rated relays.
This should pretty simple I think...:D
when the motor starts, it can draw up to 10X rated current (22A). Since the period is brief, you might be able to get away with it using your 10A relays since it didn't burn up until water got into it. put it all in a weather proof enclosure. If it was an industrial application I wouldn't use those relays. up to you. if you do use them, the relay bases like this are more robust (you said it caught fire behind the PCB) than the PCB-mount relay sockets.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Bugger !! 10A with 4 sets.

Why can't I parallel them ?
well I've seen it done, but not sure how good it is. Reason being, if one contact gets a high resistance, the burden on the others goes up. but really I think it should work. so do you have a diagram or do you need one? I have one drawn up from last time I wired up a reversible single phase, but colors are probably going to be different.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I found my diagram, and it's not for relay control. I used a ON-OFF-ON selector switch with multiple contact blocks. Here it is, just in case its any help, but I will make a new one for relay control.

BTW what are your signals? I mean, I assume there's a 120V 'UP' signal and a seperate 120V 'DOWN' signal? (or 240V whatever they use in maldives) and then a seperate fused power source 240V? or is there just 2 different power sources for up and down?

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
ok, here you go. I don't what your motor lead colors are though, gonna have to figure that one out. The motor coils are not accurate, but just ignore it. You are going to have 6 wires I think, instead of 4 coming out out the motor. I don't know which are which, but 2 get connected together in pairs like I drew it in the first drawing.

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It's done and installed.

I left the idea, figured that little contacts might not handle the surge over time.

Did not want to touch it any time soon.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Your wiring is very clean and professional. :p
Actually that photo was way before and shows my work in a jiffy.
You can say that is not my best work.

Now I realize I should have taken a photo of the finished one.

Cause it was way too clean, even for me :D.
With cable ties and Proper PCB mounts and all, terminations were soldered to prevent corrosion.

And ya, I sprayed a whole lotta plastic coat spray over the whole thing. I bought it from here.
kinda conformal coating thingy.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thought I should show you what I have when it is done.

Enjoy.

This is all the photo's I took for now