Re-enabling battery IC?

JMD

Joined Dec 9, 2009
My laptop battery died a few days ago, so i decided to see if i could locate the problem. I charged the batteries (the were QUITE low) with an external Li-ion charger. That didnt didnt help. So i grabbed my trusty Fluke, and started to meassure voltages.. the output ground and positive were reading 0.

So my guess is that one (or more) of the protection circuits have been tripped, and then doesnt want to go back to enable. The laptop can see the battery just fine, and read all its info, but it doesnt want to charge it.

Inside the battery are two different SMD IC's:
- BQ29330 http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/bq29330.html#technicaldocuments
- BQ8030DBT

I cant find any specs on the BQ8030DBT tho.

Anyone got an idea on how to enable the battery again?

Thanks in advance!

JMD

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Replace the fuse?
How would said fuse look like? From what i can see, it doesnt seem like there is any fuse.

The only thing that i think could be a fuze, is a component labeled "R005 FZ71" - according to google, thats a capacitor. Eventho the location seems add (in line with ground). My Fluke meassures 0.09-0.11 Ohms - but thats with all the rest of the circuit, so its not 100% accurate.

Last edited:

JMD

Joined Dec 9, 2009
The batteries are fine - the voltage is normal on all of them (after i recharged them). The problem is, that there is no voltage at the +/- leads going to the batteryconnect (the connector that connects to the laptop).

Last edited: