digital multimeter

carolb4

Joined Feb 20, 2010
I have a Commercial Electric handheld digital multimeter. I'm trying to test parts of an icemaker and was told from this website to: Conduct this test with the refrigerator unplugged. Test the mold heater for resistance using a multitester. Set the multitester to the ohms setting X1. Place one probe into the hole labeled "H" and the other probe into the hole labeled "L". The multitester should read in the range of 60 to 90 ohms.
This multimeter does not have X1 on the meter scale. There is 200, 2K, 20K, 200K, etc.

I don't know how to test. Please advise.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I have replaced two icemakers over the years. It is my humble opinion that you will be better served to replace the icemaker with a new one. You will benefit in the long run.

hgmjr

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The nomenclature "X1" is obsolete and comes from the days when multimeters were analog devices. The basic idea was that you multiplied the resistance reading on the analog meter scale by the factor after the X. Modern digital meters require no such conversions on the part of the user (other than, perhaps, knowing about SI prefixes).

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
sure, make fun of me, but remember:
160,217.897 Coulombs is a yotta electrons:p
nyuk, nyuk, nyuk....

Let us know if you see a multimeter using that prefix -- should be a pretty capable meter... :p

If you could carry the shunt. It would probably weigh a good bit. and have a huge heat-sink.:D